Thread: USB to DB25?

New Lounger
    Thanks

USB to DB25?

Hi all.

A friend of mine has an old PC with no USB connections running Win98. She has recently bought a USB printer off of an E-bay auction. Is it at all possible to connect from the USB port (square end of the USB cable) direct to the 25pin serial printer port on the computer with an adapted cable or something?

Hope you can help.

Cheers

Waggy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: USB to DB25?

There is such a thing. Radio Shack carries them for example see: here about half down there are both USB to Serial and USB to Parallel adapters available.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Brian.

Thanks for the reply. I've just learned that there is an A & B end to the USB cables.

The items you showed are A end to serial. I need to connect to a B socket. Would a BMale to AFemale adapter work with the USB to Serial adapter. I can't seem to find a B end adapter to serial, hence me asking the question. I assume because I can't find any, the connection cannot be done. Or do those such as Maplin or indeed Radio Shack make the assumption that the customer knows to adapt an adapter.

Waggy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, not thinking straight today. Your post was clear and I misread it. I assume then your friend's computer wont' accept a USB card?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I was going to ask the same question Bryan did. A PCI add-on card that has USB (2.0) ports would be the way to go, rather than looking for a funky adapter. It would not be money wasted, a lot of peripherals come in USB flavor these days and it is much easier to work with.
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Before buying a PCI-USB card, make sure that your friend has Windows 98 SE (Second Edition). This was the first Windows release to provide proper USB support.

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I know a few of the smaller Inkjet printers we've purchased recently at work have both USB and Parallel connections on the printer. Maybe this is the case with the printer she's purchased, and only a parallel cable is required?
    Christopher Baldrey

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hiya all,

That's part of the reason for thinking of using the adapters as she has the other edition and not really the connection to download the service packs. I suppose I could get it on CD. Her other friend gave her a PCI-USB card but he couldn't install it. (because of the Win98 edition).

New Lounger
    Thanks

The printer has only a USB connection.

I think I'll see if I can upgrade her Win98 software and try to install the PCI-USB card she already has. The cost of the adapters are somewhat expensive. If that fails I think i'll treat her to a new mobo, processor and memory, it is christmas after all!!!

Thanks for your help everyone.

Waggy