Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Cable for monitor

I found a Hewlett Packard 15-inch monitor at a Goodwill store for $10.65. Nice price, but it didn't come with the cable to connect to the computer. Every monitor I've had till now had the cable hard-wired to it. So...what do I look for? Yeah, I know: a monitor connection cable. But is there a name for this item? Anything peculiar I need to watch for. The connector on the monitor looks a lot like a serial port, but I suspect there's more to it than that. Thanks!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cable for monitor

I believe the term you are looking for is a VGA cable. I have a monitor like that sitting on the bench. Kind of nice really, if the cable gets beat up you can replace it instead of the whole display.
    -Mark

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Although "captive" monitor cables cannot readily be replaced, I think they are by far the best mechanism for two reasons<UL><LI>you don't ever lose the cable, and almost never need to replace it<LI>the heavy cable doesn't break the socket at the back of the monitor, because it just goes straight through the casing[/list]We got a whole lot of monitors back from one branch where the de-installers had "kindly" disconnected the monitor cables, but they omitted to include them with the returned monitors. The monitors just got put in the skip (=dumpster?) because it was too much trouble to source new cables of the correct plug type... (Yes, they can differ - I've just looked at a quite unusual Dell 17" monitor cable from a few years ago...).

So, I think my answer would be -- buy another monitor with a captive cable; it might be cheaper than getting the correct cable for your HP monitor, if you include your time and associated frustration!

PS 15" is far too small for anyone, nowadays!!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

No argument re: 15" monitors

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Mark! That's the information I was looking for!