Thread: Win 98 Startup

Lounger
    Thanks

Win 98 Startup

I am unable to power up my win 98 computer normally. I found that after each session on the computer, I must unplug the power cord from the computer and push the power button on the front of the computer for 5 seconds until the hard drive light flashes momentary. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Thank you,
    Larry

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win 98 Startup

After each session, or before? I am not clear on whether this is a shut down issue or a start up issue from your description. Any error messages or anything else?
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Before each session, I do this procedure of removing the power cord and pushing the power button. After it boots up, no errors are shown. When I am ready to turn off the computer, it shuts down without any hang ups or errors. What I have done already is gone into msconfig and did a selective startup. No matter what item that I unselected from the startup group, it did not fix the problem while rebooting each time I unselected a group. Any suggestions?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you are removing the power cord, why do you need to press the power switch? Does your power switch click, or is it a soft touch type? You may be looking at a hardware problem and not something with Windows itself. In fact, it sounds as though Windows is not even a part of the equation yet.
    -Mark

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What happens when you power up with out going through the unplugging and etc?

Also are you saying that the hard drive light will flash with NO power to the box?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

What I believe is happening when I unplug the computer and push the soft button on the front of the computer, is that it is releasing an energy build up in the system. All the lights (3) on the front on the computer flash once at the same time. If I try to boot up normally without removing the power cord, it does nothing.

Larry

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

So, as Dave asked, you have lights flash when there is no physical power attached to the computer. Correct?

If this is the case, you are looking at the mainboard or power supply as the culprit. Newer power systems use the soft-touch mechanism where the power switch does not have an on or off position (also known as an ATX power supply). Depending on how comfortable you are with working on the computers' guts, you may be able to test and/or replace the power supply yourself. If you do npot have the tools, then I would recommend taking it to a local shop that you can trust for evaluation.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

The computer has a soft button on the front of the computer and a on/off rocker switch on the back of the computer. I have experienced this before with a Dell laptop. This is what Dell recommended me to do while experiencing the same situation. The computer that is having this problem now is a Compaq Presario.
    Larry

Thanks

Can you check you haven't put the system (inadvertantly) into hibernation?

Lounger
    Thanks

If this is the case, reinstalling win 98 should fix this problem. Otherwise I am looking at replacing the power unit. Any other suggestions?

Larry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wait! Before you reinstall Windows, check under Start/Settings/Control Panel/Power Management and see what you find.
    Attached Images Attached Images