3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Grouping in Outlook 2003 (2003)

Apparently, the default for folders in Outlook 2003 is to group items. I really, really, really hate grouping, so I turn it off whenever I encounter it. However, every couple of days, I open up a folder, and it will be grouped. When I had the beta version installed, this happened primarily to my tasks when displayed in the calendar view. However, now that I have removed the beta (and I did remove it) and installed the real program, it's happening most often in my inbox. Has anyone else run into this? I haven't been able to find any information about where this is set and how to turn it off permanently, and hoped that someone here might have a suggestion. Thanks.

Lee Morgan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Grouping in Outlook 2003 (2003)

Try going to View|Arrange By|Current View|Define Views and set up a new View. Make sure that the "Automatically group" box is unchecked. Then set that as the View for each one of your mail folders. HTH
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I tried it and it worked initially, but even in the new view dropped back to grouping after about an hour. By the way, I had changed that setting in the original view I was using, which was Messages with Autopreview.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is related to another problem I'm having. I'm running two computers in my office - one with my firm's standard desktop, which includes Office 2000, and another with applications we're going to be moving to next year, which includes Office 2003. On the standard computer, I've been having trouble exiting Outlook. One of our network guys said he had seen a bulletin about problems when using the same Outlook account on 2000 and 2003 which could be causing the problem with exiting 2000. I wonder if it's also causing the grouping problem in 2003.

Lee Morgan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you mean you are using the same Data Store file for both, that could well make 2000 "unstick" the 2003 setting.
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I suppose that's what I mean. I access my e-mail through both versions and frequently have them both open at the same time. If that's the problem, I'm hoping it means this issue will go away once we've completed the migration. It's really annoying. Thanks for the help.

Lee Morgan