New Lounger
    Thanks

Opening msword files (Windows XP Home PC)

I am a first-time user and not a techie. Layperson language would be appreciated.

I cannot open a wordpad document (msword type file) sent to me by an Apple notebook user. Can anyone help?

Philip

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Opening msword files (Windows XP Home PC)

What happens when you try? If you get an error message, what does it say?
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,
    Thanks for your reply.
    When I open the doc I am sent to an empty Wordpad window with only a flashing cursor in the display area.
    Philip

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have Microsoft Office installed on your computer? I am thinking that you have a genuine Word document and Wordpad cannot read those, only RTF files (as far as I know).
    -Mark

Thanks

Try opening the file in Notepad. Save the file somewhere convenient, then start Notepad, File>Open and navigate to the file. Since Notepad is completely ignorant of file formatting, you will see whatever content actually is in the file, likely presented in a very unattractive manner. Is there anything there?

Microsoft has a free Word "viewer" that you can download: WD: How to Obtain Microsoft Word Viewers (MSKB 165908) This is an old version that doesn't support Word 2002/2003 files, but this might not be a problem in your case.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,
    Wordpad can open Word documents. I don't remember in which version they changed it, at one point it changed to be able to open Word 6.0 format (Don't remember if there was Word 2 before that). Of course many of the fancy formats will not be there, but simple text will work. But I just run a quick check, my Wordpad in Windows XP opens a Word 2000 document, hmmm... And the help file in Wordpad is as normal of no use.

But I think one possible cause could be: is it not a difference between Word for Mac and Word for Windows file format? Thus, there could be that Wordpad in Windows can not open the file. But on the other hand, I didn't read anything about if the Apple guy had saved in Word for Windows format.

A quick link to some info. Seems to apply to older OS, before XP.
    WD2000: Problems Opening Word Document in WordPad

And of course, the file could be damaged in some way.

Regards,

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Could their be a size limitation for opening a document in Wordpad? Just wondering. Do you know already from the Apple notebook user's email or can you find out the size of the document? And can you put "eventvwr.msc" without quotes in the run box and see if under Applications or System about the time of the error--stretch it out for a quick view of more entries--you can get any useful error information?

Windows XP Event Viewer

SMBP