New Lounger
    Thanks

Screen ripple effect (Word 2000)

This problem is driving me to distraction: when I edit a document in Word 2000, the screen is updated periodically (no pattern) with a kind of "ripple effect" from the top to bottom. This happens only in Word, and in all views (print layout, outline, normal). I suspect it's some kind of background operation but I've tried disabling background pagination to no effect. It is really distracting and I'd be really grateful for a solution!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Screen ripple effect (Word 2000)

I use Word 2000, with WinXP Pro. I have not seen this "ripple" effect. I don't even notice any special updating in Word.

What kind of documents do you have? Possibly a lot of fields or table calcs to slow things down just-a-bit? Other things running to load down your CPU?

Here's a StarPost with a lot of information for Word: <!post= Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (Word 97/2000) ,197827> Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (Word 97/2000) <!/post>

Errol

New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2000 on WinXP Pro here, too. On a 1GHz laptop with 256k RAM. The documents are ordinary text files (book manuscripts) with few if any tables or field codes. CPU load is typically below 50%. It doesn't seem to be specific to any particular documents, and it can't be a hardware problem because it happens with no other applications.

Thanks

Does it coincide with the AutoRecovery save interval? Usually the "saving" icon will appear briefly on the task bar, but no other effects.

More memory wouldn't hurt, but I don't know if it would help, either.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've cracked it! It was the first reply to set me onto the right path by mentioning field codes. The culprit turned out to be Endnote, a bibliographical application which maintain a database of references and can automatically format footnotes and bibliographies, and which installs itself in Word's Tools menu. No this has a feature called "Cite as you write" which inserts loads of field codes and presumaby updates these continuously, in a clunky sort of fashion. I've switched to its alternative mode of operation, which just inserts plain text placeholders and formats these when the whole thing is finished, and the "ripple effect" has gone away. Thanks for the sugestion of field codes being responsible, sometimes it doesn't need a fully-fledged answer but just someone to get you to think laterally :-)