3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Xfer to portable (2000)

How can I transfer Email etc. in various folders from my desktop to my portable (the whole thing really) ?? I tired File Export > *.pst and File Import BUT it appears that it just stops part way thru with NO error message!! This thing is about the worst progam I've ever seen -- it's writing a 200M file just for a bunch of short email messages. I used a zip disk to transfer. It's a good thing I checked or I would have left on my trip and been completely out of luck. Is there any reliable way to transfer many messages in multiple folders?

Thanks

Re: Xfer to portable (2000)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 15-Dec-03 16:05. Forgot a paragraph!)</P>Simplest is to take your entire PST file, assuming your mail is delivered to the PST. This will contain extra junk, but if space is not an issue, it's worth it.

If you want to be more selective, create a new PST file (File>New>Personal Folders file) and copy the desired folders into it. Then take that PST along.

Note that certain things are stored externally to your PST. These include: rules, customizations to toolbars, macros, and data about add-ins. If you need all of these on your laptop as well, it's a more involved process...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks but that is what I did. It did not work -- and what is really scary - it acted like it did work. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks

What didn't work about it? In my scenario, you do not use Export or Import, you simply copy and use File>Open>Personal Folders file.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok, I did not do that then. Let's see if I understand what you mean: I'll be completely outside of Outlook -- so I close Outlook on both computers. Find out where the pgm sticks the file 'personal??.pst" or whatever it is called. Find it on the desktop, copy to a zip disk, then move it onto the directory where the laptop has the file by that name stored (wiping out the old one). Then when I open Outlook on the laptop the whole thing will be there. Is that it? And what is the file name? Thanks for your help!

Thanks

On the desktop computer, the file has a default name of outlook.pst, but this is changeable. If you are showing the Folder Tree in Outlook, right-click the top-level of your PST (usually something like Personal Folders or Outlook Today), choose Properties, then Advanced. The exact file path should be listed. You can copy it to the clipboard to keep it handy.

On the laptop, you have a choice. You either can replace the existing file of the same name (you will lose anything unique to that file, of course) or you can copy it into a different folder and then attach it as a second PST from inside Outlook using File>Open>Personal Folders file. The second approach probably is less disruptive, particularly if you don't need to compose mail (if you need to compose mail, the Contact folder integration might not work as well using the second approach).

If there are problem with the PST on the laptop, make sure Windows did not mark it read-only while it was in transit. This is common with CD-R discs, but I don't know about ZIP media. Hope this helps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks much!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just checking on one other thing -- When you tried to export your main pst using Import/Export, did you remember to check the box that says "include subfolders"? This is easily overlooked and results, usually, in an exported pst file with nothing in it. I've made this mistake myself when I've been in a hurry. Judging from your first message, this is apparently not what happened to you, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Fafner