2 Star Lounger
    Boston suburb (Acton), Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks

Nero 6 Installation Suggestions? (Windows Server 2003 )

I recall seeing lounge posts discussing problems caused by Nero installation - but I can't search and I don't remember where they were. I am sorry if I am rehashing well-covered ground.

I need to copy an "iso" file to create a Linux CD. IBM suggested Adaptec's CD Easy CD Creator "image copy." But I recently got Nero 6 because it seemed to get good reviews. My Easy CD Creator is version 3!

So, Wizards... (I am VERY impressed by the expertise I find on this board)

1) Is Nero good? Or are there other options that are better? I plan to start doing some work with MP3's but I haven't yet, so it's obviously not a big thing in my life. I also noticed that there is an option to "write these files to the CD" but there's nothing about image files.

2) Is there something I should do before I install Nero? De-activate some service(s) or something?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Nero 6 Installation Suggestions? (Windows Server 2003 )

I have the very latest Nero 6.3.0.0 and have not seen , nor had, any problems installing or running it. Someone had a problem installing INCD portion of Nero here while back, but I believe that was just a fluke, because I haven't heard of that with anyone else.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I think cowboydog is characterizing my problem with getting In CD functional exactly right.--It installed but wouldn't work because it said it needed a file and also after I rebooted it caused a BSOD and the only way I could get back to Windows was Last Known Good Configuration which usually never works in my experience trying LKG about 100 times. SR wouldn't work from Safe Mode and it usually does for me if BSOD's are in my way up to Windows. CBD tried hard to help. Every other component of Nero went in quickly and works perfectly. I wrote Ahead and after two inane answers involving Win 9X that didn't apply to Win XP and were worthless (I sent them very complete info) I got the suggestion to uninstall everything and start over which I had done about 10 times already. You can see it here:

Nero Ultra Burns Me--In CD Brings BSOD! Win XPPSP1 Lounge November 17, 2003

I may try to call their California office and get some help but it'll cost me bucks I don't think I should have to spend for the call since they don't provide a toll free and obviously don't want to provide phone support. Phone support can be helpful when email support produces nothing of value. You at least get to say--"that's inane and not on point."

SMBP

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Nero 6 Installation Suggestions? (Windows Serv

Generally speaking, people seem more satisfied with Nero than, say, Roxio. Personally, I have burnt ISO using Nero 5 without a problem.
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Boston suburb (Acton), Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks

Re: Nero 6 Installation Suggestions? (Windows Serv

Wizards all!
    (as always)
    Thanks...

Thanks

Cowboy,

I also had a slight problem going from Nero 5.5 to Nero 6, ( only with InCd ) I know you aren't having the problem, but for the benefit of any other Loungers who might, Nero Tech support recommends removing all traces of the older version of InCD, with their removal prog, and then reinstalling InCd's latest version.

The removal tool can be DL at <A target="_blank" HREF=ftp://ftp9.nero.com/attach/InCD-CleanTool.zip>REMOVE InCD</A>

Just for infomational purposes.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hey Bob--

Thanks for this. I did have trouble and still am having trouble loading InCD, and I didn't know about the tool. I did of course try to remove everything but there might have been traces--I was in the registry trying to meticulously get rid of all old traces as well. I couldn't get and my other version of 5.5 was on "C" drive, and this was on "E." As you saw from my other thread you were on, I had trouble with InCD only. So thanks for this tool--I didn't know about, and I'm going to use it to go after the problem again--trying to clear out everything. There is still an InCD folder on C, but it's empty and the solution is probably really simple--just eluding me.

Just curious--did you email Ahead for any help or talk to them on the phone? Because I don't know how to contact them by phone.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Doug--

I just saw your "Is Nero Good?" question. The answer is an emphatic yes, it's very very good and very reliable and they are always trying to make it better and you normally shouldn't have a problem installing it at all it's a slam dunk install in it's current version--I just had a wierd rare problem with In CD and I'll get it licked--I could probably install the older version of InCD that I had working fine with Nero 5.5 if I can't finally get InCD in. It's almost sometimes that solving the problem is somewhat "fun" and a challenge. After all I can still use it just fine.

IMHO it's more stable than Roxio with Windows XP and less prone to crash and if you do a head on comparison, it has more robust DVD and ISO burning capability than Roxio and better features than Roxio all the way around. But there are a lot of voices and this is very subjective--Roxio seems to be better known and more popular with the average user in my parts, but Nero is almost hands down the choice of computer club types, IT people and computer hobbyists. Of course there are exceptions and that's just my sense.

The people on the 24X7 computer station I watch on TV Tech TV all use Nero. And in particular they have customized instructions for burning Linux Iso's on their site. Just go to The Screen Savers site and search their info on burning linux--do two searches because the first will be for the month and the second will be for all the archives. You want the second. Here's a ride to the site:

The Screen Savers: You can take that ISO image of Linux that you downloaded and burn it to a CD: Note hyperlinks in the writeup and links at the bottom and do a Linux burning and CD burning search on the site.

Nero has a Nero Fully Functioning Trial Download Here but I don't see one for Roxio.

IMHO Go Nero. That's my strong recommendation.

Ed. SMBP: I should have added I have had Roxio 6 since it was released and also have Nero 6 Ultra, and I think that Nero is head and shoulders better with more options, and more functionality and more Win XP stability than Roxio.

SMBP

Thanks

Hi SMBP,

I did email their customer support with the question and they responded in a day with that Cleanup Tool, etc. They DO seem to be willing to clear up problems for their customers.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!