Star Lounger
    Rennes, France

Upgraing to 2003 from Works 6.0 (Office 2003 standard)

I'm getting ready to at last get my wife's machine in shape by leaving Windows ME behind and upgrading to XP Home and then installing Office 2003 standard (student/teacher edition). I'm wondering about the actual upgrade procedure. Do I need to uninstall the version of Works (6.0) on her machine first, since there is no version of Office on the machine at the moment. Will the Office intall overwrite the Word 2000 on the PC? I know this sounds a little naive but I'm a little lost here. Let me try to rephrase my questions clearly: what I'm really asking is how to go through the installation of Office 2003 on a machine that has just been upgraded from ME to XP Home and which has had no previous version of Office installed but which is running Works 6.0. I've followed threads on the XP list, so I think I know the pitfalls to avoid in that direction but the Office over Works installation is something I'm less sure of. Many thanks for any help.

Plutonium Lounger

Re: Upgraing to 2003 from Works 6.0 (Office 2003 standard)

Office 2003 by default installs Word 2003 in a different folder than Word 2000, so if you like, they can coexist. On the other hand, if you would prefer to free some disk space, you could uninstall Word 2000 before installing Office 2003.

BTW, it's not entirely clear to me if you already installed Windows XP. If not, it might be a good idea to back up your wife's data, then format the hard disk and do a clean install of Windows XP. After a few years of use, there's bound to be a lot of garbage on the hard disk (through no fault of you of your wife, I hasten to add!)