4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Workgroup issue (revisited) (WINXP-ACC97)

I had addressed this issue previously, but it still isn't resolved. Hopefully I am not the first
    one to go through this.
    We are upgrading from WIN2000 to WINXP. We had Office 97 on the WIN2000 PCs and are
    going to Office 2000 EXCEPT for Access. They decided to keep Access 97 on everyone's
    workstation.
    I have the database backend on the server, and the front end on everyone's "C" drive. I also
    have placed the mdw file on each workstation.

My problem is that when I try to join the workgroup, it allows me to go through the steps and
    even says "You have successfully joined.....".
    But when I go to open the database, no dialog box pops up (the one with username/password).
    Then when I go back to the Workgroup Administrator, it shows the default workgroup again !!
    When I look on the C drive, I go to Program Files. Then there are "TWO" Office listings. One is Office,
    the other is Office 97. Under Office 97 is where the Workgroup Administrator is located.
    Is this where my problem is? Should I be using a different Workgroup Administrator ?

Please - I really don't know what I am missing. I need to have everyone join the workgroup, but
    it seems that I can't. Can someone please help ?

Thank you,
    Michael Abrams

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Workgroup issue (revisited) (WINXP-ACC97)

Hello Michael,

The usual way of doing this is to provide all users with a shortcut that opens the database with the appropriate workgroup file. The target of such a shortcut looks like this; of course, you must substitute the correct paths and names:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice97MSAccess.exe" "C:AccessFrontend.mdb" /wrkgrp "C:AccessSecure.mdw"

If the users open the database with this shortcut, they don't need to join the workgroup. If they try to open the database directly, without using the shortcut, they will be logged in automatically as Admin; the Admin user should have few permissions in a secured database.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are you running the correct Workgroup Administrator. I have a PC with Access 97 and Access 2000 on it and I think you will find there are 2 possible locations of system.mdw (one for each Access), and possibly even 2 administrator executables (but I can't swear to that as am away from that PC at present). Probably the problem is that Access 97 is pointing to 1 system.mdw and Access 2000 to another.

Jeremy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

I need everyone in my department to be a member of the same workgroup for ALL databases (long story).
    It would be impractical to provide each user with individual shortcuts for each database, especially since new
    databases are created weekly.
    This system worked fine until we switched to XP. I was able to go to each workstation once, put the mdw file I created
    on each individual PC, join each person to the workgroup, and then ANY database they tried to access, they were tied into
    the same security.

Jeremy:
    I may not have made it clear, (sometimes I have difficulty expressing myself in cyberspace !!), but
    I am not looking for the "system.mdw".
    I have created my own workgroup (michael.mdw), placed it on the users C drive. Then I need to use the
    Workgroup Administrator to "join" the michael.mdw. I have done that successfully, but it doesn't 'stick'.

Is there a special way to join a workgroup in WINXP that I may be missing? I only see the one Workgroup
    Administrator listed in Program Files/Office 97. Is there another one somewhere possibly?

Thanks for any suggestions !

Michael

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Michael, I doubt that Windows XP has to do with it; I suspect that the mixture of Office 97 (Access) and Office 2000 (the rest) is behind this.

This MSKB article may be relevant: ACC2000: Workgroup Information File Is Reset to Default System.mdw After Self-Registration

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That did the trick Hans. It is a registry setting and Microsoft detailed it pretty well.
    Well enough for our guys here to handle it in 3 minutes flat !!

Thank you !
    Michael