New Lounger
    Thanks

Always use this program? (5.1.2600/SP1)

I have mistakenly chosen a specific program to open all of my TIFF type files. How does one go about dis-associating any specific program with a file type?

Thanks

Re: Always use this program? (5.1.2600/SP1)

In earlier versions of Windows, this was very simple: all information was accessible through the File Types tab of Windows Explorer's Tools>Folder

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help. I was able to Restore some TIFF files to their original state, but it still didn't allow them to function as in the past (ie; allowing whatever program I am in to open the file). Previously, if I were to acquire a TIFF image to fill a page in my document it could be opened and inserted into various different programs. Now, it seems to be unavailable to programs other than the one I have accidentally selected to associate with all TIFF type files. Do you know of any way to allow multiple programs to use a file type?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You can only associate a file type with one program for a default action. The Open With panel on the context menu allows you to open those files with other applications.

I think there is a disconnect here. When you say:
    <hr>Previously, if I were to acquire a TIFF image to fill a page in my document it could be opened and inserted into various different programs<hr>
    what exactly do you mean? Acquired via the scanner, or some other means? From your description it sounds as though the TIFF image was in the Windows clipboard buffer and you could paste it several times.
    -Mark

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Shift + Right-click on the file in question, and select Open With (or if there is a fly-out menu under that, Choose Program). When the list appears, select your program of choice, and then make sure that the checkbox marked Always use the selected program to open this type of file is ticked.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for the confusion. I'll try to be mose clear in describing my problem. The TIFF files are acquired from different sources and stored on in a series of folders for insertion into various documents. While I was scanning a map drawing into a folder, I left the "Always use this program" box checked. When I tried to open that particular TIFF file to paste it into my document (this application is for creating Real Estate Appraisal forms), the TIFF file would not open or paste, as files had previously done. I tried to paste several other TIFF files that I had sucessfully used earlier, and they would not open or paste using this application either. The same files do open using other applications, just not with the application I use the most. Other types of files (most notably; .JPGs and .BMPs) continue to function as before, opening and pasting where ever requested. I haven't tried to work with every .TIFF file, however I was able to open and paste two of my TIFFs via my application. Could my error have effected only some of the TIFF files and not others?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Could some be affected and not others? Anything is possible, I suppose. There would have to be some difference in the file extension for Windows to handle it differently.

What it sounds like to me is that the application you normally use is confused now. You might try reinstalling it to see if that corrects its method of handling TIFF images.
    -Mark