2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to stop browser coming up itself? (6 SP1)

Hello,

If I have multiple Internet Explorer Browser windows displaying webpages in parallel, the one which loads up automatically comes to the screen & forces everything behind it.

This's irritating as it disturbs what you are doing with another active browser or application software.

How can I disable this irritation?

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to stop browser coming up itself? (6 SP1)

Do you mean popup windows? There are many utilities that stop popup windows; a Google search for popup killer or popup stopper will yield lots of results.

I have been very satisfied with the free Google toolbar. The latest version (only in English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Korean, Chinese Simplified and Chinese Traditional) contains a popup stopper.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, not pop-ups.

What happens is I'll open a webpage, e.g. Microsoft.com

Then I'll switch to Outlook to type an email.

Meanwhile the page loads in the background. As soon as it finishes loading, it suddenly pops up & my email gets thrown behind it.

So it behaves a bit like a pop-up.

Help!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A low-tech solution is to minimize the web page (the one that is loading) before switching to another application such as Outlook.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Coolness. And what's the hi-tech solution?!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know, really. The TweakUI customizer application from Microsoft (TweakUI for Windows XP or TweakUI for Windows 2000/NT/ME/98/95) has a setting to prevent other applications from stealing the focus, but some people report that Internet Explorer ignores this setting.

Thanks

My guess is that the page runs a script when it finishes loading that causes it to come to the front of the Windows Z-order. If you disable scripting, you can stop that, but of course, you'll stop lots of other things. So... you should complain to the webmaster and see if you can convince him/her to change the way the site works.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Download TweakUI-XP.

We had a thread on this somewhere recently--last week I think-- and I just can't find it using all the usual suspects. As Hans said, You can use Tweak UI XP (the updated version) to probably stabilize this focus changing, or the previous version of Tweak UI-- 1.33. If I remember correctly from the XP threads, you have XP. You can put a checkmark in the box "Prevent applications for stealing focus."

You can also hack the registry to remedy this. This tweak requires the modification of two values, depending on the way you would like applications to take the focus. The first setting controls whether applications simply steal the focus, that is pop-up over the existing in focus window, or if instead they wait in the background and flash the taskbar icon. The second setting controls the flashing of the icon.

User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelDesktop]
    Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)

Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value named 'ForegroundLockTimeout', change the value to either the timeout required, or to '0' which causes the application to take the focus instantly. The default value is '200000' (0x00030d40 hex).

The other settings affects the number of times the icon flashes if above value was not set to zero.

Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value called 'ForegroundFlashCount' set the value (in decimal) to the number times to flash the taskbar icon, setting the value to '0' cases the icon to flash infinitely. The default value is '3'.

SMBP

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks everybody.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I found this thread on Focus from a month ago that might also have helpful links:

How to Stop Focus Stealing in IE: IE Lounge Thread November 24, 2003

SMBP