3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Returned Messages-Undeliverable (2000)

I have one user here in the office that for the past couple of days has been having problems sending emails. These are the messages: "There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server...mail rejected due to excessive spam." Can I take that message at face value? Too much spam in recipient's In Box?
    2nd Message: "The email address could not be found. Perhaps the recipient moved to a different email organization, or there was a mistake in the address...Domain of sender address...does not exist." We checked and double checked the email address. We know it is correct. Domain of sender also is correct. We do exist.
    This is strange because both of these are occuring on only one computer in an office of 19. And they are happening at the same time. Any suggestions?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Returned Messages-Undeliverable (2000)

Have you tried deleting and re-entering the account details on the user's computer? (On the basis that you are not running Exchange.)
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We are running Exchange.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

On the first message, it sounds as if you may have inadvertently got onto a blacklist. Are other users successfully able to send messages to that domain?
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just did a test using myself. I received the same message...SMTP communication problem with recipient's email server, etc, etc. Now what? Is it his server?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

What I am saying is that, as a result of the major virus attacks late last summer, many email addesses were spoofed. Some domains have instituted a policy of bouncing all such spoofed addresses as being "known spammers" - using a blacklist. It is possible that this has been perpetrated on your domain. The only recourse tends to be taking it up with their anti-abuse section.
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! I will check into this. What about my other returned message? Any ideas?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Only creating a new account for the user on the Exchange Server.
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is what I don't understand: This user is able to send the majority or her emails. It is just the ones and twos that bounce back to her as undeliverable. I will check with one of the recipients to make sure we haven't been put on a blacklist like you suggested.
    Your suggestion for my other message was to create a new account on the Exchange server. Can an existing account become corrupt but still send and receive the majority of emails?
    This user has just come to me with two new messages: #1 - "The following recipient could not be reached... Could not deliver the message in the time limit specified. Please retry..." Which she did and then the recipient ended up with two messages.
    #2 - "The following recipient could not be reached...The destination system is currently not accepting any messages. Please retry...if that fails contact your sys admin..." My user has not been able to contact this recipient since Monday. It is a county gov domain so I don't think it is down, or we would have heard. Also, this was the first message returned for this recipient (3 days ago). My earlier post on ,"domain of sender address...does not exist" was just returned an hour or so ago on the same recipient.
    Are all of the above related? And if so, is it because the Exchange user account has somehow become corrupt? How does that happen?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Recreating an Exchange account is a known (but agreedly illogical) fix. I wouldn't normally expect it to be necessary on such a small domain as yours. OTOH the very wide range of error messages - and the inconsistent one - would suggest that as probably the most suitable fix.

On the "how does it happen?" aspect, you would have to look at it in the context of similar fixes (including reboots) being necessary all across commonly used Microsoft products.
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I guess I'll recreate her user account.