2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DirectX 9.0b Diagnostic Tool Error

I recently reformatted and reinstalled Win98SE. I then downloaded all the Windows updates from the Windows Update site. One of the updates was DirectX 9.0b. I then ran the DirectX Diagnostic Tool and while it was loading/gathering its data, I got the following message:

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DirectX 9.0b Diagnostic Tool Error

Try turning off hardware acceleration on your sound card. I don't have Windows 98, but it's probably something like

Select Start | Control Panel
    Open Sounds and Multimedia
    Activate the Audio tab
    Click Advanced...
    Activate the Performance tab
    Drag the Hardware Acceleration slider to the left (None)

If you can run DxDiag now, you can try turning hardware acceleration on gradually.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans, for your reply. I followed your suggestion, but the same problem still occurs even with no acceleration. By the way, what exactly is hardware acceleration and what does it do? If I were to lower it as you suggested, how would it affect the quality of my sound? But back to the problem at hand -- any other ideas on how I can resolve this problem? Thanks.
    Regards,
    Robert

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid I can offer no more help; I hope that others will have suggestions.

DirectSoundcan apply all kinds of sound effects to sound: echos, fading, etc. This is often used in computer games. These sound effects require a lot of processing power; most modern sound cards have dedicated chips that can do this much faster than software - that is hardware acceleration.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>what exactly is hardware acceleration and what does it do<hr>
    Hardware acceleration means that the chip on the add-on card (sound board in this case) handles advanced instructions instead of software (the OS or application). Disabling hardware acceleration forces the system CPU to handle more of the load, creating a potential for bottlenecks and system slowdowns.
    <hr>If I were to lower it as you suggested, how would it affect the quality of my sound<hr>
    You might notice choppy audio, or reduced quality. If the CPU and system have enough resources, you might not notice at all, but you need to remember that you are forcing additional work onto other components. Something has to process the information.

From the text of your error message I can see that there is a problem with the sound card driver. The message:
    <UL>A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028387E703 in VXD AU30WAVE(01) + 00014523[/list]A fatal exception 0E is explained by Microsoft in article 15031. What it means is that something has accessed memory incorrectly. The AU30WAVE is the faulting driving, and it is your sound card driver.

That said, try updating the driver using the most recent one you can find on the web. You might also consider removing and reinstalling the sound card from Device Manager.

HTH,
    -Mark