Thanks

Can't run Office update (Office 2k/XP + IE6)

I can't run Office update.
    I go to http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/default.aspx.
    Click on "Check for updates"
    Scan commences and I am presented with a screen listin ghte critical updates needed.
    I click the "Start Installation" button.
    A window pops up for just a few seconds entitled "Office Update Installation Wizard - Web Page Dialog". In this window, it says:

Please Wait
    Please wait while the office update installation wizard loads.

This window quickly disappears (though I managed to get a screen print of it). I am returned to the core web page which has a title of Installation Troubleshooter with the following content:

Installation Troubleshooter Help

For information about possible causes for the installation failure, see:
    Installation troubleshooting information for Office XP Service Pack 1

Check for updates and try installation again
    Report the installation error to Microsoft

I clcik on "Installation troubleshooting information for Office XP Service Pack 1 " which provides the followng 4 hits. But I didn't get any kind of error message and none of these look like a fit anyway.

Troubleshooting Office XP Service Pack 1 (SP-1) Installation

OL2002: Cannot Connect to MSN POP3 Servers After You Upgrade to Office XP SP-1
    After you upgrade to Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 1 (SP-1), you cannot connect to an MSN Post Office Protocol version 3 (POP3) server.
    OSER: Error Message 1642 When You Update Office Web Components Installed from the Web
    When you attempt to install the Microsoft Office XP Web Components August 2001 Update or the Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 1 (SP-1), you receive the following error message: The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service...
    OFF: Cannot Access the Internet with ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro Installed After You Upgrade Office
    After you install a Microsoft Office Service Pack or you upgrade from one version of Microsoft Office to a newer version, you cannot access the Internet.
    OFFXP: Error 1328 When You Apply Office XP Service Pack 1 to a Workstation
    When you apply Office XP Service Pack 1 (SP-1), you may receive an error message similar to the following: Error 1328. Error applying patch to file Crogram filesMicrosoft OfficeWinword.exe. It has probably been updated by other means, and can no...

So I click on the "Report the installation error to Microsoft" but of course, that doesn't have any value. This problem has been going on for quite some time. Periodically, I go back and try again, always with the same results.

I guess I'll have to try to manually download each of the patches in the list which is a bit frustrating. I don't see how anyone can have much confidence in the Microsoft Office teams commitment to security if they can't make their auto update process function correctly. Just walking the talk?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't run Office update (Office 2k/XP + IE6)

Do you have an antivirus program running? If so, you usually have to disable it during the installation. Also, if you have selected any updates to the Access runtime, turn that off. I've found that to be impossible to install on my systems.
    Charlotte

Thanks

Re: Can't run Office update (Office 2k/XP + IE6)

No, not currently running an AV program...