Thread: XP Memory Error

Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Memory Error

I am the proud owner of this bug infested product called XP professional. When using certain applications it crashes and I get the following error codes:
    MSACCESS.EXE - Application Error the instructin at "0X77f5890c9" reference memory at '0X00670061" the memory could not be "read". Click OK to terminate the program. I've posted this same problem in the MS Access Threads but the best advice I got was to seek help from the hardware gurus.
    Thanks In Advance!
    Grady

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Memory Error

I presume that when you power up the PC, you don't get any unusual beeps or error messages?

The first thing I'd do is look in the System Event Log for any unusual memory-related messages. There may be nothing, other than the message you report (which may be found in the Application Evenet Log). (by the way, is the "referenced memory at 0xnnnnnnnn" always the same address?)

How confident are you to open up your box and check on the memory it contains?
    If so, shut down and power off, remove the mains lead from the back of the computer, earth yourself to the case/chassis, and open it up.
    Do you have one or two memory modules? (or even more?!)
    If two, carefully remove both, interchange them, and replace them again, carefully.
    Put everything back together and start up again.
    If there's a problem with the real memory, the address may change.

Someone may also suggest a test for memory health...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Banned Member
    Thanks

There are several of these errrors. Can you tell us exactly what you are doing or what you are trying to do with Access, when this happens?

One thing that does happen with MS Access applications is that a form or perhaps even a query, if the form is bound to a query, can become corrupt. Have you tried to "Repair and Compact" (under Tools/DatabaseUtilities on Access 2000)? Do you have an older backup that you can test to see if it occurs in an older copy?

If your using Access 2000 read this ACC2000: Issues Fixed in Access 2000 by Office 2000 Service Pack 3

Or Bugs: Solving Access

Or Decompile or how to reduce Microsoft Access MDB/MDE size and decrease start-up times

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you fully patched and service-packed? I would have to disagree with your statement about XP being bug infested; in my experience with it since it was released it has been quite stable. More so than any other Windows operating system so far!
    -Mark

Banned Member
    Thanks

Yes, I have to agree with Mark. WinXp is the best Windows OS ever. I have had very very few problems with XP. Truth is, most the problems I have had, I brought on myself, others were just bad installs of a program, or a bad piece of Hardware. Once you have Ironed out your Access Problem, I think you will find WinXp a fantastic OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Grady--

What version of Office are you using? You might also search these errors in the MSKB under your particular version of Access or in places like google groups under Acess whichever or on Access sites-- and then your error messages. I always go to Event Viewer as John suggested no matter what error message I see to get as much additional info as possible and sometimes it makes all the difference in the world. It takes 5 seconds to look--expand Event Viewer to get a big view, and look both in Applications and System so you won't miss anything--and events are listed by newest time at the top.

SMBP