New Lounger
    Thanks

viewing picture attachments in 2003 (Office 2003 / Win XP SR1)

Greeting everyone, just signed up here.
    I took a look thru the past posts but could not find anything in it about my "problem". I was previously using O2K and in that version of Outlook when you received an email with more than one picture in it, you could move thru them without having to close one and then open the next. They opened in Picture and Fax Viewer and all you had to do was hit the (>) next button and it moved along to the next pic. I really miss this and would like to know if this "feature" is gone or a setting I am overlooking.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: viewing picture attachments in 2003 (Office 20

Have you looked at the Tools|Options Security settings - as attached?
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for the quick response. I'm really not sure that will do it, but I will give it a try. As far as I was aware, that setting is for pictures inside html email messages. What I was looking for was that now with Outlook 2003, when someone sends you multiple pictures as attachments (ie. picture from camera) and you open the first picture (which opens in Picture and fax Viewer) you cannot click on the blue forward button at the bottom of Picture and Fax Viewer and automatically advance to the next attached picture. In Outlook 2000 you could. As the only difference on my system is the change from O2K to O2K3, I figured either the "feature" that allows that is either gone, disabled or not turned on. But thanks again. I will give it a try and see if it makes a difference. Right now it is set not to open those html pics.

Thanks

My "Open" action (Windows XP, Office XP) is to launch the photo in Microsoft Photo Editor. Is that what happens for you? I'm not sure how you can change the default for Outlook attachments without changing the system default for the Open action (in other words, I don't think you can rig Outlook to use the Preview action instead of the Open action). To change the system default for Open to the Picture and Fax Viewer, see <post#=322858>post 322858</post#> but instead of choosing Microsoft Photo Editor, choose the Picture and Fax Viewer. Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have tried the solutions mentioned in this thread and none seem to help. I have disabled the security settings for image downloads and also made Picture and Fax Viewer my default for opening images, to no avail. Can anyone else suggest another option?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Are you using Outlook stand-alone or are you on Exchange Server? If you're on Exchange, the attachments are stored on the server, and they will only be downloaded to your Outlook Secure Temporary File folder as you open them. So when you open the first one, clicking the Next and Previous buttons in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer will have no effect, but it will once you have opened each attachment separately (which rather defeats the purpose).