New Lounger
    Thanks

Access application to web application (Office 2000)

Good morning,

I have developed many Access database applications for the college I work at. And over all I consider myself fairly savvy with Access. Well now I have a request to convert one to web based. Hopefully someone has some experience with this and can point me down the right path. Is there someway to converts all the form views to web pages, and what about all the coding, does it all have to be redone??! Does anyone know of a GOOD text book for this that they would recommend. Thank you in advance.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access application to web application (Office 2000)

Unfortunately the short answer is there isn't any easy way. Probably the simplest method is to use Data Access Pages, but in 2000 they were pretty rudimentary, and you can't replicate some of the more sophisticated controls. Another drawback is that all users must use Internet Explorer and have at least part of Office installed. The more sophisticated approach is to use ASP.net, but there is a fairly steep learning curve, and you must use an ISP (or install the software on your server) that supports the ASP.net extensions. There are several other solutions as well using various commercial packages and things such as PHP and Cold Fusion. So I'm afraid I can't recommend a book. FYI, we use ASP.net with either a SQL Server or an Access database - our website uses Access.
    Wendell

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access application to web application (Office 2000)

Greetings!

Just to add to Wendell's comments (with which I agree 100%), web applications are very different from Access applications in many ways. However, the coding concepts are not terribly difficult. There are several different approaches you can take and you need to decide which direction to go before investing much time or money into books. You'll also want to determine what database sources will be available for you (Microsoft SQL Server, Access, MySQL, etc...). This can make a BIG difference in how best to approach the situation.

As Wendell said, Access's Data Access Pages are not very versitle and only work under certain controlled circumstances. I've never been able to use them for any real-life applications.

Classic ASP (3.0) is still used very heavily in many places. It uses either VBScript or JavaScript for server-side coding. VBScript is very similar to the VBA you've undoubtedly seen in Access. It also uses the very same ADO objects that have been available in Access since version 2000. The only downside is that there is no definite time limit on how much longer this technology will be supported because of the advancements in the .NET world. So if you are planning a lifespan of more than 2 or 3 years for your application, you may choose to look elsewhere. (I built web apps exclusively in Classic ASP for about 2 years.) One of my favorite resources is W3Schools

ASP.NET is by far the quickest and most efficient Microsoft-based web platform available. The biggest drawback is the learning curve, especially the different approach to handling data (ADO.NET). It's not difficult, but it is quite different from classic ASP/ADO. I've been using ASP.NET exclusively for the past 7 months. It is AMAZING! One of my favorite ASP.NET books is ASP.NET Unleashed (Second Edition). You can also get some good information from sites like http://www.asp.net.

Please feel free to post back with any further questions (general or specific)...

Hope this helps!