New Lounger
    Thanks

useless processes

"...a hatred of nearly useless processes running...". I also agree.
    Has anyone use the Spybot Tools / Startup / as a method to eliminate the unnecessary startup processes?

The documentation seems pretty good (as opposed to looking it up myself) as to deciding to eliminate these processes.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: useless processes

Spybot is very good at detecting spyware/malware, but be careful. For instance, I have nwiz in my startup list. Spybot says: Typically not required, and the description is
    <hr>Associated with the newer versions of nVidia graphics cards drivers. Allows you to immensely improve desktop layouts by setting preferences and optimizations. However, this isn't necessary for the operation of your system<hr>
    It may not be strictly necessary, yet I decided to keep this one...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Further to Hans' advice....

I use another tool to manage startup programs. You can kill a lot of them without problem, and if there is a problem, you re-enable the option. I think there are better resources for finding out about startup programs and processes than Spybot, but that is just opinion. When in doubt, double and triple check, and never forget that experimenting can also reveal a lot - as long as you take proper precautions. Nothing worse than getting your system into an unusable state!
    -Mark

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Galpa--

You can find links to a lot of good resources to trim startup programs and save CPU cycles if you click on the Subject Heading under "Show Threads" of a lounge section and click backwards to "CPU" or "Startup" as keywords--until we get search back that will help you locate posts by subject.

See:

Post 319736 for Links (that have a number of these startup managers in them).

Also besides the startup managers that you can google or search engine for quickly--some good free ones--one of my indispensable sites is

BlackViper Windows 2000 or XP as well under different heading on site Service Configurations

Tweak Your Way to A Faster PC with Black Viper TSS Tech TV December 16, 2003

Ed SMBP: I am really fond of Spybot and it may be good at listing processes, but like everyone says, I'd be pretty careful to make sure you know exactly what something does before turning it off. Also going to services if you can as BV suggests is a cleaner way than going to MSConfig--I know you have Win 2K that doesn't come with a default MSConfig but you can easily get MSConfigs for Win 2K by searching.

SMBP