3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Weird problem -win98se

Since I hadn't done a scandisk for awhile, I decided to do the thorough one today.
    After that, in a "Modeler 3D " drawing program, I cannot double-click (to change a color) on one file (of about 100).......It locks
    up the computer to the point I have to shut it down manually!
    I checked for viruses, looked at conflicts, re-started the computer, uninstalled the program & reinstalled it, and this one file
    is still causing the problem. Short of deleting the complete file, can you think of anything that would cause this strange behaviour? The particular file has been worked over a bit, but was integrated until the scan-disk. Help???

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Weird problem -win98se

At a guess, I'd say that scandisk might have moved the file, which may have been residing on a bad sector, but (for that reason) was unable to read it properly or completely. The moved copy may therefore be corrupted and causing the parent program problems when opening it. It might be worth trying to make a copy of it from Windows Explorer and seeing if that gives the same problems. Also it's surprising what won't work normally can sometimes work in Safe Mode... worth a try.

Alan

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just following on from Allan's suggestion, I have known reinstalls to recreate the problem of a corrupt file by copying the same file to the same place. No, I don't understand the hows and why.

From experience I now always uninstall, or delete, run Defrag and then reinstall.

Hope this helps!
    Granville

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Two good suggestions already rabee--but I would also run system file checker or SFC.exe. See Post 323586 System File Checker in Windows 98

for links.

SMVP