2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot open table (Word 2000 SP3)

I have a very unusual situation involving what is either a table or an Excel spreadsheet in a Word 2000 document. To start, on both pc's it is Word 2000 and Excel 2000 with all available Service Packs and Patches installed. On the Win98SE pc if I click on the "table" and want to edit it's contents (numbers and simple formulas) then Excel opens and everything works just fine. However, if I do this on the WinXP pc, if I try to edit the contents I get the following error message: "The source application, the source file or item cannot be found. Check if the application has been correctly installed and has not been removed, moved, or the name has been changed." (Sorry if the text isn't exactly right, I translated this from Dutch.) If I check the properties of the table, it identifies it as an Excel spreadsheet. Why would this work on one pc but not on the other? How might I go about troubleshooting this problem?

Thanks in advance for all help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot open table (Word 2000 SP3)

1. Does it help if you start Excel (on the Windows XP PC) before trying to edit the object? This is only a workaround, of course.

2. Does the Windows XP PC have Norton Anti Virus (NAV) installed? If so, make sure that the NAV Office Plugin is disabled (this will not compromise the security of the PC). This can be done in Options in the Norton Anti Virus window.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply.

1.) Having Excel open doesn't make any difference.
    2.) I'll have to check about the Norton AnitVirus. That is the package we use, but I'm not sure about the plugin.

Regards,

Maury

New Lounger
    Thanks

I had the same problem (even worse, all "objects" would not work in Word 2000). Disabling the NAV feature immediately helped!
    (I should have looked into the lounge earlier, would have saved me from trying to solve the problem by reinstalling Office & Windows!)
    Shame on Norton!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This may be a dumb question: is it possible that the table contents are sourced from a spreadsheet that exists on the Win98 machine but is not present on the WinXP machine AND the table is generated from a link rather than the s'sheet being embedded?
    When you edit the table contents on the Win98 machine, do you see the Excel sheet's file name and can you track that file down in Explorer and copy it to the other pc?
    Of course, I would expect that you would get some message about links on opening the (WinXP) file and you have not mentioned that as a difference between the behaviour on the two machines...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your attention, Ian.

No, it's not at all a dumb question. Unfortunately, if it's an Excel spreadsheet on the Win98 machine, this fact is completely hidden from me. I have every reason to think that there is no such spreadsheet, as I mailed the document to my personal address and on my home machine opened and edited it without any problem. So if there was a spreadsheet as a separate link involved, I should have had problems here at home. So whatever it is, it is in that type of file, or it's the Norton problem mentioned earlier. I'll be giving that one a try this week.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Maury

New Lounger
    Thanks

The Norton setting definitely was the problem, not any file location. Proof: I created an Excel table in a word doc - worked. Click outside (return to Word), double click the table - and the error message appears! Same with other Objects created from inside Word: creation works, editing afterwards does not! Unselecting the Norton option made everything work OK.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all for the help. I was at my customer's office this morning, and indeed it was the Norton that caused the problem. Really appreciate the help!