4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I hate Picture Manager and MS (Office 2003)

What happened to Photo Editor in Office 2003? Well MS decided, in its infinite wisdom, to replace it with Picture Manager, once again without the endusers' input. You don't have a choice.

So when I opened a .jpg, instead of Photo Editor "popping" open my picture, I had to wait 7 - 8 seconds for PM to initiate, call for the file and then display it. I have a 2.4G system - this is ridiculous! I hate PM.

And I hate MS for assuming that all its customers have the need to edit their .jpg files every time they wish to view them. Do you fall into that category? I sure don't. 999/1000 times when I click on a .jpg file, all I want to do is view it. Sure, Picture Manager is a good photo editor but how often do I need it? Rarely - my digital camera takes good enough pictures for me and those I might wish to send them to. I guess I can use PM to resize my picture, but wait, it was pretty easy to do that with Photo Ed. I hate MS. I understand them changing the default viewer - how else would new Office 2003 users find out about it? By reading the book? Yeah right? Buy why remove Photo Editor from my system when I upgraded(?) to Office 2003. I hate MS.

So, I copied PhotoEd from my Office 2000 system to my Office 2003 system, changed the default file type viewer to PhotoEd and I am happy.

BTW - it's nice to have the Lounge's Search engine back - too bad the link to it is broken.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: I hate Picture Manager and MS (Office 2003)

I'm afraid that search is not back yet, but we hope it'll be reinstored real soon now.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That would be great because I must admit I often go to other boards first just because of a working search feature. I suspect I am not alone - and consequently, I suspect once Loungers learn Search is back and running, Lounge use will soar!

later...
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

New Lounger
    Thanks

Our IT people had told us for a year or more that Photo Editor was going to disappear, and I had a reaction similar to yours. However, you should still be able to use "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" as your default viewer, which I think is a very handy way to look at images. I don't know for sure if Picture and Fax viewer is with Office or with Windows XP. I think it's part of the OS and not MS Office, though.

When I need to resize or crop a photo, I've found Picture Manager to be just as easy to use as Photo Editor, and certainly better for managing all my images.

JS

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer come with XP. And the reason why it works great is because it primarily is a "viewer" as opposed to full-fledged manager/editor. Had they stuck with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer I would not have complained as my picture files would "pop" open.

And didn't I pay for PhotoEd when I bought my previous version of Office? Does that give MS the right to remove software from my machine when I pay for a newer version (not an upgrade if that should matter).

Or did I only have a license to "borrow" program allowing MS to "delete at will" things on my machine.

And now that I think about it, during Office 2004 install, I specifically chose to keep my prior version because I have my CD and DVD inventories in Access DBs - and the S&T version is the same as the Standard and so does not include Access. So, I wonder what else was changed.

To me, the right thing to do is to "offer" to change MY default viewer the first time I click on a .jpg file after Office 2004 install.

Interesting - I just pulled up a .jpg with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer and clicked on the edit picture option and it called up Picture Manager (which I do admit is an adequate editor).

Thanks.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Where do I get this HOT "Office 2004 "?

That may be your problem, it is so new that it is not even in Alfa testing.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay Dave - so I grew up in the 60's - leave me alone!!! Office 2003 is of course the right title. While working this problem on this machine, I am working another problem on another machine that has Microsoft Works Suite 2004, which of course included Word XP which came after Word and Office 2000 but before XP but was not called 2001 or 2002. But my Norton came with System Works 2002 on one machine but I run Norton 2004 on the other. But then in 9 days, today will be last year, so there you go.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Bill,
    I think you will find that with the licensing that Microsoft has with the different vendors, the OLD version(s) are to be removed. This is one of the problems when you do NOT own ALL of the software that is included in a package. Most suppliers do this and Microsoft is NOT alone.

Having worked with several Cad-Cam programs, these are a lot worse that you have ever seen from MS. I have seen them changed from one point rev to the next and then back again.

PS. Just picking on you for using Office 2004, we ALL have made similar errors.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bill

So, I copied photoEd from my Office 2000 system to my Office 2003 system, changed the default file type viewer to photoEd and I am happy.

Are you saying you just copied the files (Photoed.exe, Photoed.hlp, Photoed.cnt, Photoed.srg) into a folder?

Thanks
    Dale

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow Dale - I started this thread a year ago! I forgot all about it!

Anyway, all you really need is photoed.exe - but I also copied photoed.hlp in a new folder. The other two you definitely don't need.

Bill
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bill

That worked great, apart from one minor hitch. When I start Photo Editor, I now get a message saying "Registration/Unregistration failed". It's no great problem, because if I click OK then Photo Editor starts and seems to operate correctly. But it would be nice to get rid of the message.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help
    Dale

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm - got me there - I found one reference to that and it said to make sure Office 2000 SP3 was installed. You already went to Office 2003 so don't know how that would affect you. Hopefully, someone else might know and jump in here.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────