Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win98SE and XP networking

I am having one tough time copying files from an XP box onto a 98SE box. The two PC's are are connected to a CompUSA HUB. For example, I can click onto a shared folder from the 98SE PC and see the files on the XP machine that I want to copy. But then when I try to copy them I get an error message "Cannot copy FILENAME: The specified network resource or device is no longer available"

Any Idea? And Thanks in Advance!
    Grady

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win98SE and XP networking

I would start by checking that all ports on the hub and the NICs are set to the same speed and duplex (100Mb Full Duplex, 10Mb Half Duplex etc.)

On the windows systems this is an advanced property of the network card hardware. You will need to check the documentation for the Hub to see how that can be configured.

I have seen very similar problems when one end of a wire is talking half duplex and the opposite end is Full Duplex.

If that doesn't help then try using different NIC cables and plugging into different ports on the Hub, in case you have a cabling problem.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank You! It ended up being a problem with the cable itself. I've made dozens of these things and never a problem before. Is there a way to test a cable once the ends are made?

Thanks Again!!
    Grady

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You can test the cable by using a continuity tester, available at most electronics shops. Radio Shack is an example of a shop common here in the U.S. Just make sure you are testing the same lead on each pin. There are more advanced (read: expensive) tools available, but for simple testing, a ten dollar purchase will do the trick nicely.

For the record, just because the light on the NIC comes on does not mean you have a good cable - it simply means that 2 pins have continuity, so never rely on that!
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank You! I appreciate your reply.