3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

stored messages (oe 6)

The hard drive died and has been replaced. However, the owner hadn't backed up and I've tried to salvage the situation. Hooked the hard drive as a slave in a same-model system and have been able to access many files for her.

She says she has pictures stored with her messages. I don't know OE. (1) Where would that be? If it's anything like Outlook, there is an enormous file somewhere with everything in it. (2) What should I know about getting those messages and pics back into OE on the new system, once I find them? (Of course, that assumes they are in the undamaged area of the drive.)

Thanks so much for your help.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: stored messages (oe 6)

Take a peek at this article to see if it helps.
    -Mark

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Try looking for the following location for the Outlook Express files / mail folders (*.dbx). On Windows XP, they are by default in C:documents and settings[username]Local SettingsApplication DataIdentities[some cryptic GUID string]MicrosoftOutlook Express.

<font color=red> Remember to use the slave drive letter instead of the "C" when looking for these files.</font color=red>

You did NOT say what OS, so if NOT as above, do a search on "*.dbx" without the quotes. You will need to copy all of the "dbx files listed. There will be one for the inbox and all other folders.

You should also find the address book in this same location.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OS was XP - thank you both (Mark & DaveA) for your information. I think I found her files and she will be very pleased. I've made copies of the referenced Outlook Express reference article - one copy for my files and one copy for the owner.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Tomsterdam is a great go to for things OE. I also ran across this just now looking for another fix and it may come in handy some time as might Doug Knox's site.

Doug Knox's Site>Windows XP Fixes>24th Hyperlink Down on Left>Find and Open the OE Mail Store (VB Script)

SMBP