New Lounger
    Thanks

Assign a drive letter to a directory (XP Pro)

I have a hobby website and a store the files for it in a folder on my Windows XP PC before I upload them to the server.

My problem is that when I make relative file references in the HTML, I want to use the '/' to go to the root of the website which is fine once the file is on the server. However, when I preview my files on my PC, the relative file references do not work, because they go to the root of the drive rather than the folder.

What I would like to do is map a directory on my C drive to a new letter so that I can trick the relative references to work.

I have done Google search after Google search and I can't seem to find anything, so I must be putting in the wrong key words. I apologize in advance if this is too basic a question for this forum.

Thanks for the help!

-kevin

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Assign a drive letter to a directory (XP Pro)

You can use the SUBST command to accomplish this. From a command prompt, type SUBST /? for the proper syntax. If you are using NTFS, you can also create a junction point, as described in article 205524. Lastly, you can share the folder and then use the NET USE command to map a drive letter to the specific share.

HTH,
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Assign a drive letter to a directory (XP Pro)

Since I already use Partition Magic, I solved that problem by creating a separate, small partition on one of my hard drives to use for "web" storage. It doesn't matter what drive letter it has, just so that all the files "start" in the root directory of this partition. All relative reference problems went away!

(There are other partitioning products out there that will let you create new partitions on the fly, without destroying your data. If you need suggestions, post back)