New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to View Message Content in 2003 (11.5608.5606)

I "upgraded" to Outlook 2003 from Outlook XP. I am running Win 2000 Pro. I am unable to install any of the updates such as the Junk Email one, and am unable to see the content of any message in the read panes. If using the preview capability, I can see that there is indeed at least a couple of lines of content in the messages, but all I can see in the panes is the message header information. Disabling ZoneAlarm and McAffee achieves nothing. Reinstalling MS Office 2003 achieves nothing. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unable to View Message Content in 2003 (11.560

Try going to View|Reading Pane and see whether it has been set to Off. HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

I checked. The right pane option is chosen. No content other than the header shows in the pane, however.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Did you try making a new profile?

2 Star Lounger
    Boston suburb (Acton), Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks

Re: Unable to View Message Content in 2003 (11.5608.5606)

Just a little more info - maybe it will help. And you're welcome to ask questions if I can help. I usually take from this forum much more than I am able to contribute.

I have just been through 3 days of Windows purgatory. A month ago my HD on my main PC choked with a bad sector that wouldn't repair. I had received a 180-day eval copy of Windows Server 2003 3 days before. Talk about serindipity - or so I thought. I used Server 2003, upgraded to Office 2003 (11), started using Outlook 2003 instead of OE6. It took a week to get everything right. I classify this as "stuff happens." But it was still a pain.

Thursday night my 180-day Server 2003 expired at 32 days - I had inadvertently changed the year to 2002. After several hours of searching, I found there was no cure - just upgrade to the retail version, IF it works (the KB's said it was questionable). Then it turns out that the retail version can only be Enterprise version - my Small Business Server 2003 was a "downgrade" and therefore could not be done. I started fresh with SB Server 2003 and reinstalled everything, did most of the setup, etc. After 6 hours of concentrated work I got a message about "lsass.exe not found" and then there was a registration problem I couldn't get past. I'm sure there was some way, but none of the changes seemed interesting enough that I was willing to endure this. I gave up.

Saturday night I installed Windows 2000 (Server) and reinstalled Office 11 and all the other good stuff. I imported my OE files into Outlook 2003.

Everything "views" fine, both for those folders where I allow a preview pane and when I expand the mail by double-clicking. And when I "reply" to it (and am seeing it within a Word 2003 window).

I have had Outlook operating for 3 hours now, but I have 1300 messages in all my folders after I did some pruning. My new PC is a Soltek mini box with an Intel MB and built-in Intel video. I don't notice any difference in Outlook between Win 2000 and Win 2003.

[I know the purgatory description was irelevant but I just wanted to vent.]

I hope this helps in some way.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Doug,

Do I understand right? You think I have to install Windows server (at what cost?) on my stand-alone machine in order to get Outlook 2003 to work?

I have now spent three days without e-mail trying to get this program to work. I am about to start frothing at the mouth. If I have to reformat and start over, the only thing that is going on my machine is Linux.

New Lounger
    Thanks

MJ,

I did try that after you suggested it. Repeatedly. I still can't read any message content. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

2 Star Lounger
    Boston suburb (Acton), Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks

Oops again! I was just relating my experience in case there was something that might help you.

I was NOT suggesting 2000 Server over 2000 Pro (if my 2000 Pro CD wasn't "tired" [some files don't copy] I would have re-installed 2000 Pro). I would think Server would be more flakey than Pro.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>I have now spent three days without e-mail
    You can always use Outlook Express - as an interim measure - and then import into Outlook. (Also, if you have been using any form of Mozilla on your Linux boot, you can keep using that pro tem. Your path to Outlook would then be importing first into OE and then into Outlook.) If you have received emails that you have not been able to read, you can import them into OE.

For completeness, please confimr that you are using a POP email account. Akso, do you have more tha n one account on Outlook, and, if so, have you tried sending a test message from one account to another. Forgive me, if this is going over old ground.

Hope This Helps
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi!

Good thought about Outlook Express. I'll give that a try in a minute.

There is only a single account in the mail Profile I am using with Outlook 2003. It is indeed a POP3 account.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

While you're using Outlook, do you - for the sake of argument - still have the same problem if you import those messages you have viewed in OE back into Outlook?
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

It seems Outlook Express is no longer on the machine ("Cannot load MSOE.DLL"), so I can't try the import idea, worse luck. I begin to suspect there is something wrong with the Win2000 Pro installation. I'm getting kernel errors when trying to use a printer for example. I'm going to take it in to have it looked at. Thanks for trying to help!

Thanks

At least through version 2002, Outlook requires that Outlook Express be installed. Perhaps this is one of the root causes of your trouble? You probably should back up your PST files to another medium (e.g., CD) before letting the shop work on your computer. Hope it's something simple.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

OE is installed automatically when IE is installed. Try reinstalling IE. There may be something wrong with your IE installation. Among other things, the IE rendering engine contributes to the display of email in Outlook.
    Gre