Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Looking for Old Windows OS Site

A while back, someone, I think Leif, but I can't remember for sure, posted a site that had old Windows OS's back I think to 1.0 but I believe there was one before that called I386 or with 386 in it, that were available for download. It also had (I think) several screenshots and commentary on each OS. I think it was in this section, but it could have been on one of the Windows OS threads.

I'm not trying to get 98 for free for example, but this was a site I really liked, and I know I saved it but maybe in a previous OS folder that has been formatted now--I've really looked. The problem is that I can't remember the name of the site.

In searching, I've run into some very interesting sites with many OS's including non-windows OS's avaialble for download, but I haven't found the one.

Can anyone help me find this site?

SMBP

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Looking for Old Windows OS Site

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Holy smokes, I count over thirty (30) license violations all in one place. Wait til the 'Softies find out about THAT archive!
    -Mark

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I suspect there are a lot of people from Microsoft who know these sites and get the downloads for convenience--there have to be many of them because a lot of Windows enthusiasts play with them and they have to get them from somewhere. I'll see them at computer shows every once in a while but I doubt that you can easily get packages before Windows 95.

Maybe Softies can access a server that lets them get old OS's and play with them. I understand that support for 98 and 98 SE will be pulled on the 16th of Jan. I've seen conflicting reports on SE.

Windows 98's Demise Causes Concern

Microsoft will no longer support the OS, although many still use it.

Microsoft will end support for Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition on Jan. 16

If you bump into any sites that context the old versions of Windows well, features and use of dos I'd sure appreciate seeing them. They have to be out there.

SMBP

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Frankly, I think that Microsoft as a corporation could care less. Who would really want these old dogs (Windows 1.x???) that will not run on modern hardware, except for die-hard enthusiasts and folks who just want to play around (like me)? Their cash comes from corporate sales of their current products....and I would bet that all of my old floppies with Windows 3.x programs are useless by now due to age.

I cut my Windows teeth on Win 3.1, after graduating from DOS. It stunk compared to OS/2 Warp, but it was what was around in wide-spread use at the time. At least now I know what I can do with that aging 286 that is propping my workshop door open!

Just as a side note, some time ago I read an article about a kid who had set up a PC that held the world record for the highest number of bootable operating systems on one PC. I have since lost the original article, but I did manage to find a link to TechTV's write-up about how to build a multiboot system that - get this - can successfully boot into 39 (or 50+, depending on how you count them) operating systems. Amazing. If you ever think you have too much free time on your hands, I think this chap has you beat!
    -Mark

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much Hans. I wasn't using a search term that would work with google--I used "past windows operating systems download" and couldn't find anything--maybe I needed to view more pages.

That sure has them back to 1.0--not the one I had but it has the downloads and I appreciate it. I also was trying to context them as much as possible because I think it will help my perspective and the evolution and the use of dos in Windows. I could even have the shortcut to the other one, but it had an off-beat enough name, that I'm not going to be able to search for it well.

I did find these--they don't have downloads but some context.

The OS Files Site Map

Richard Robbins' Multiboot Minagerie

Free OS's--Mostly Open Source

I suppose the two dos OS's in the link immediately above are not MS-Dos but different dos OS's.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The guy on Tech TV--Richard Robbins--and there are probably similar people with a smaller number--has the admirable background and equipment mentally to tinker with all those OS's. How he finds time to go playing with one or the other while he practices his guitar is a great question. I can easily get lost looking for something--spinning off to an interesting site--and literally fogetting what I was after in the first place and that's not good--but it's fun. Just going through saved shortcuts in folders relating to Windows turns up some sites I had forgotten and wanted to spend time with.

I was looking for some persective--money can't buy the experience of having seen all those OS's like OS/2 Warp and early Windows unfold and the hardware improve.

Tech TV has also had a couple on that seems to have most of the old early computers and an incredible collection of hardware and software and several people associated with developing many of them--the first mouse, ect.

SMBP