Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Printing at single row height (Excel 2000)

I have a sheet containing multiline cells mixed with single-line ones. Some users aren't interested in the verbose content of the former cells, and want to print the sheet (quite a few pages) in condensed form, showing only the first line in each cell. Others want the full monty.

I'm wanting to be able to "toggle" the printing (preferrably Preview as well) using something like a custom toolbar button. And I'm hoping to use VBA to this end. It doesn't matter if the screen view toggles at the same time, provided it can be reset to its original "full" display, which is possibly a user-customised view. Any suggestions on how to do this please?

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printing at single row height (Excel 2000)

I don't think it is easy to do this really well. You can set row height to a fixed number of points, but that doesn't take different font sizes into account. And you can autofit row heights, but in my experience, Excel doesn't do a very good job at that, it often creates an extra blank "line".

To set a fixed row height, you can use ActiveSheet.UsedRange.RowHeight = 10.5 (or whatever row height you want, in points), and to autofit row heights ActiveSheet.UsedRange.EntireRow.AutoFit

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Looks like we've had similar experiences with this, Hans. The font size is not a problem, since it's consistent and if the user changes it, that's their problem. Given that, the real problem I see is restoring the original view. In this workbook, the views are "generated" from a data source, so it's viable to generate one with a fixed row height, specifically for the purpose of condensed printing, but that's something I was hoping to avoid. And I agree about the autofit - it's a bit unpredictable.

thanks

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could save the workbook (with varying row heights), switch to fixed row height, print, then close the workbook without saving it and reopen the saved version. A bit of a kludge...

Thanks

Why not create a copy of the sheet in an "overview" form and let them print that?

You could just have it extract the left so many characters with Left (A1,x) and format both how you want it. Call the sheets verbose and summary.

Steve