Thread: Mailmerge? (XP)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mailmerge? (XP)

Not sure if this is a mailmerge question. I have a word document template that I frequently use for the classroom. It has a table designed as I need with the appropriate columns, headings, and column widths. I also have an Excel spreadsheet for my classes - one class per tab containing the student names. I would like to use the Excel file as a data source and merge the students names into my table.. one name per row.

I seem to be unable to do this - I can merge the data but I end up with one page per student but I need all the names in a table so I can print it and use it in the classroom.

How would I do this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mailmerge? (XP)

Option 1:
    Create a table with the desired layout, but only one row.
    In the first step of the Mail Merge wizard (task pane), where you select the document type, select Directory.
    Continue as usual, insert merge fields in the table row as needed, and finally merge to a new document.
    Then insert header row(s) if necessary.

Option 2:
    Create a table with the desired layout, including header row(s), and with as many rows for students as you need.
    Again. select Directory.
    This time, insert the merge fields in each row, and insert a field { NEXT } after the text in the last cell in each row. Don't type the brackets { } but insert them by pressing Ctrl+F9. Alternatively, click Insert Word Field on the Mail Merge toolbar, and click Next Record.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mailmerge? (XP)

Thank you Hans, Option two gives me what I want. Option one produced multiple rows - each as an individual table.