Thanks

Standardized Toolbars (MSO2K)

in Outlook, I have noticed that although the bars selected remains the same, the particular buttons on each bar may change depending on which folder you are in.

How do I set this so that the "Advanced" toolbar, for example, will remain the same, and have the same options/buttons, no matter which Outlook folder I am currently viewing?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Standardized Toolbars (MSO2K)

You can't. tHe buttons that aren't usable in certain folders aren't available in those folders. Even creating a custom toolbar won't help.

Thanks

MJ:

Oh well... thanks anyway...

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Of course you will want to set Tools/ Customize/ Options to NOT show recently used commands first, then open a New e-mail Tools/ Customize/ Options and UNcheck "Standard and Formatting toolbars share one row."

Who wants to spend time searching for menu items and toolbar buttons when they can all be visible to begin with AND always be in the same place?

Thanks

Van:

That is / was exactly my point: even with the toolbar adjustments you've noted, some of the buttons are hard-coded in a way to appear / disappear depending on the particular view, screen, or folder you are accessing...

Chuck

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I'm satisfied if the toolbars don't move around on their own and the full menus are always displayed in the same order when I click on them so that I don't have to read each and every entry each and every time.

As MaryJ notes, different folders have different abilities, so, it wouldn't make as much sense for the toolbars to be static - you'd quickly run out of room for buttons....

Thanks

Van:

I guess that I'm a paradox, because even with bad eyes, which I DO have, I like to see the blurs remain static... which they do not...

As a "solution", I have taken to creating my own toolbar, putting dropdowns on it, to which I add items as I find that I use them enough...

This way things do stay put, have enough room, and don't disturb the status quo...

I should have known better in front, and gone directly to adding an item(s), rather than changing what was there initially. This has the added benefit of not being as susceptible to damage when you encounter the BSOD...

Thanks, though.

Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks

My question relates to a simple change of user names. My company changed email servers, and I was the lucky winner of a new name. This changed all of my "profile" settings in the Microsoft stuff. Now, toolbars in Outlook are always on two or more rows when I compose or reply to an email. The Adobe PDF toolbar will show up every time, even though I have never used nor do I want it (I use it a lot in Word and Excel, but not in Outlook). The primary toolbar takes up the entire horizontal space for a toolbar, and I cannot put the formatting toolbar next to it. I end up with 4 layered toolbars that cannot be combined. I prefer 1 row of toolbars. When I tried to go to the command you mention in this post, I can't even touch the check box for this option. It is grayed out. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Do you use Word as your e-mail editor? If so, and if you have the PDF toolbar in Word, it will show when you compose an e-mail or reply. You could try turning off Word as e-mail editor.

New Lounger
    Thanks

That did it! Now the toolbars are behaving properly. Thanks!