2 Star Lounger
    Boston suburb (Acton), Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks

Viewing Infected Email (2003)

I am new to Outlook. Until 2003 I could not see any advantage over OE6 and I worried about Outlook DB issues.

I like it. But I haven't figured out how to "view the source" for a message that I suspect is evil (e.g., from "Mail Delivery System" "Returned mail: see transcript for details"). In OE I would check properties and then click the View Source (I think I am remembering correctly).

This must be a dumb question - how could such a simple need be difficult to find?

Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Viewing Infected Email (2003)

Right click on the message in question and select Options. A rather strange place to stick that header information, surely.
    -Mark

Thanks

Mark has covered the "Internet Headers" issue. As for the body of the message, Outlook converts POP and IMAP messages from RFC 822 format to a proprietary format. You cannot see the original message as it was beforehand, and there is no "source" page. However, you can use preview utilities to probe them without actually opening them. I've never tried it, but Chilton Preview has been recommended here before. If you like VBA programming, you also can retrieve the .Body property of the message for yourself. In Outlook 2003, I believe this will generate a security warning, so it's easier and/or less annoying to use a pre-programmed utility that works around this behavior.

2 Star Lounger
    Boston suburb (Acton), Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks

First, thank you Mark and jscher.

hmmm...

Does the conversion to the Outlook format mean I can safely view email? The only reason I am pursung this "viewing" issue is because I believe there were viruses that could infect a PC by simply viewing an email.

Thanks

Viewing HTML mail exposes you to several threats. In brief:
    1. <LI>Information disclosure: "web bugs" can report to the sender that you opened (or previewed, if rendered as HTML) the message. This isn't a virus, but maybe it will increase your spam load.

<LI>Script: you should set Outlook for the Restricted zone (Tools>Options...>Security) and make sure that "Active Scripting" is all disabled in that zone. These "inline" threats do not require you to open an attachment in order to activate, if you let them run.

<LI>Other IE vulnerabilities: you should keep IE patched to avoid the other vulnerabilities that are discovered from time to time. One of the worst exploited a flaw that would allow an executable file to download automatically.
    And of course, up-to-date antivirus software is highly recommended. Hope this helps.