5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Keywords in searches

I have been putting some text in the Keywords field of excel files I handle, for use in developing some metrics. Now, I cannot seem to find out how to query the folder that has these key-worded-files for the particular keyword, for instance "ssc" so I can count them. The search pane in Explorer is distinctly unhelpful. I see no keyword reference there, and the help in 2000 doesn't seem to have much either. Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Keywords in searches

Keywords are something that you can Search on using Excel VBA. I do not recall any other way that you can approach them. Would an Excel VBA solution meet your needs?
    Gre

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps...but I am "certain" that these things ought to be accessible in other ways. I have a folder containing excel files. I want to count the number of files that have the keyword "ssc" in that file property field. Can VBA do that without having to open each file?

Thanks

They are accessible via the "built-in" doc properties" in Excel VBA

<pre>sKeywords = activeworkbook.builtindocumentproperties("Keywords ")</pre>

will put the keywords in the variable sKeywords which you can use the LIKE operator or INSTR function to search for something in it.

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can use the FileSearch object in Office VBA to search for keywords, or use the DSOFile.dll from Microsoft, again in VBA (or VB). I will move this thread to the VB/VBA forum, since any solution is likely to involve coding.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

In the Excel Object Model, both BuiltInDocumentProperties and CustomDocumentProperties are part of ActiveWorkbook - and not simply Workbook. This means having to Open each Workbook to inspect the Properties.

I suspect that this may also be the case with the FileSearch object mentioned by <!profile=HansV>HansV<!/profile>.
    Gre

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Is the Indexing Service enabled on your system? If memory serves, this is one of the things that it catalogs for searches using the system Search function.
    -Mark