4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hard Disk Out of Space - NOT

This one has me puzzled - I have a system with a single HD partitioned into C: D: and E: (NTFS).
    C: is 10Gb and holds my OS and HW drivers.
    D: is 60Gb and holds all apps and data
    E: is 10Gb and is for my swap file and misc.

Suddenly, twice today a "Message" window pops up reporting my D: hard drive is out of space. Delete files in temporary directories ... yadda yadda. Click OK and life goes on.
    Note I only get the error for the D: partition.

A check of Properties shows 56.1Gb Free!

Virus scan with latest sig files, SpyBot and Adware, Defrag, scan disk, and Disk Doctor report no problems.

Nothing else hangs off that controller.

Everything else seems to be working great.

One side note - not known if related - replaced the XP2500 with a XP2800 last week. Noted "unknown cpu type" on system properties page - got around to looking into that today - I flashed the BIOS this AM with no apparent problems and System Properties page correctly reports AMD Athlon XP 2800+.

Ideas?

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-7VAXP
    CPU: 2800+
    RAM: 512MB
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Thanks

Re: Hard Disk Out of Space - NOT

What was the source of the temp files you deleted?
    Have you run a full Chkdsk on it recently?
    if it is filling up that quickly, it may be worth keeping an Explorer window open - hit F5 to refresh and the Status bar should show the amount of free space decreasing.

Otherwise, what software are you running during this time? Anything 'suspicious' should show up as active in taskManager.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Does everything in the BIOS check out? Correct reading of the hd (in the bios) etc? Also, were you running any particular app when this occured? A "Message" message does not sound to me like it's coming from XP, more like an app possibly misreading hd info. </wild guesses off>

kip

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah, the BIOS is fine - no particular app that I remember. And it has still only happened twice. And yes, it is an XP message (or actually NT message carried over).
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Bill

I occasionally get this message from a Citrix Winframe server on our network - why ME, I don't know!

But it reminds me that the "disk percentage fullness" threshold can be set in NT, and I suppose it's an outside chance that the one for your D: drive is set to some inappropriately small value. However, I can't find a reference to "low disk space message" in TechNet - perhaps somebody else can?
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John - I have found where I can disable the message in the Registry but that is for folks whose drive IS 95% (or whatever) full and they are tired of the messages. But mine is over 95% FREE - I can't find any reference to "false" messages. And I don't see in XP where you can set the threshhold. I did find that you can set quota limits for users but that is not enabled.

In the meantime, it has not done it since the original two times yesterday - so I guess it is hurry up and wait for it to happen again. Then maybe I can learn more of what's happening.

Thanks.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think it will be relevant as your disc has so much free space, but I've had this problem with the Norton protected recycle bin. Do you use that? If so, you could try purging all those protected files.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I thought you hit it for a second because that system does have Norton SystemWorks 2004 on it and I have heard (after I installed it, of course) that there have been problems for many after putting 2004 on. But I never experienced any of the problems mentioned so discarded Norton as the cause until you mentioned it. I've been using Norton SW/Utilites in various forms for many years but have never really liked their Protected Recycle Bin and have always disabled it. I thought for a minute I might have had one of my quinquagenarian moments and forget to disable that, but I had.

Nice try though, thanks! - I must add that it has not happened again - back in my old radio maintenance days, we used to call it "FM" - F@#$ing Magic!

later...
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────