New Lounger
    Thanks

Printer keeps disappearing (XP home)

Here's my problem. No matter how many times I add a printer to XP it insists upon losing it whenever I reboot/restart the PC. I've added it countless times as the Owner (i.e. administrator) but XP seems to forget that I added it.

What's even stranger is that I've also got Adobe running and it disappears as well until I readd the printer. How do I go about keeping the printer and Adobe's distiler, etc. through reboots/restarts? IdeaS?

Jim

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printer keeps disappearing (XP home)

Are the drivers signed? If they are not, MS does tend to get finicky and insist on your reconfirming your willingness to install them at every possible opportunity.
    Gre

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

How the printer is connected to your computer? Is it connected through parallel cable, USB cable, IR port or the network?

If it is connected though USB cable and you didn't power up the printer during computer bootup, your computer "forget" the printer until you power up it. Than it needs couple of minutes to recognize it.
    If it is the network printer, make sure that the printer has proper static IP address. If the printer is configured to get dynamic IP address from the server and on your computer standard TCP/IP port is created, the port become unusable each time IP address is resetted.
    If you are connecting through IR port make sure that devices "see" each other and wait couple of minutes until computer recognizes the printer.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Edited by WyllyWylly to reduce attached file size.

I had this same problem long time ago. Everytime I would reboot my Computer it would start loading the printer drivers. It was driving me crazy. But I finally figured it out throgh a lot of testing. I had to make a change in the Printer settings in BIOS. After that it never ever did it again. See picture of BIOS below. The one's that say Onboard Parallel Mode and EPP Type, thats the settings I had to use.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. This might be the solution. I'll know shortly, as my printer was off (probably the kids) and when I went to look for it in Control Panel it had disappeared again. I've turned it on and hopefully this will be the solution.