New Lounger
    Thanks

Compressed (zipped) Folder Error (IE 6)

I'm using WinXP Home, IE 6. When I click to download a zipped file I get this message:

Compressed (zipped) Folder Error:
    The Compressed (zipped) Folder is invalid or corrupted.

If I right-click on the link and select Save As..., then I can download the file. What is causing this and how do I fix it?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Compressed (zipped) Folder Error (IE 6)

Searching for that error message with Google turned up article 308090 in the Microsoft Knowledgbase. Always Google first!
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Mark. I did a search in MS Knowledgebase, but it turned up nothing. Strange. Thanks again.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Not so strange if you used the Microsoft search "feature." It is a very poor search engine. I always use Google, and if I need to narrow it down, I restrict the results to the Microsoft domain. You can do this two ways:
    1. <LI>In the search box, append site:support.microsoft.com to your search query. My query on this was: "Compressed (zipped) Folder is invalid" site:support.microsoft.com
      <LI>Go to the Advanced Search page and specify the domain in the appropriate box.
    A little trick for future searches....glad to have helped!
    -Mark

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

To reenforce what Mark said, many of the journalists who do websites for a living that track Microsoft have said many times that they are using Google to search for Microsoft sites and developments rather than Microsoft's newly revamped search in articles about the search. I find the search on the site really misses some very obvious stops consistently when I compare with Google--and although there are some tricks to searching the MSKB, Google seems to do a far better job in turining up a number of them that it's own search doesn't when it is used with a number of different search terms. You can also have Google search Microsoft sites specifically:

Google Special Search

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Mark. I feel that I got a 2fer with this post. Most invaluable information. Now I'm going to do a search on some other topics for which I felt that I got either zero hits or lame hits using Microsoft's search engine.

Brad

New Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,

Thanks for the tip!

Brad