New Lounger
    Thanks

Tracked Changes Color (Word 2002)

There is a user that yesterday only his track changes were in green and today they turned to blue. He didn't change anything. In looking at the "Show Reviewers" yesterday, the person who mailed him this document (outside of the firm) has no user name next to their red changes, another person from outside the firm was next on the list with green, and a third person from outside the firm, their changes and name was in purple. Today he goes in to access the document and his changes are in blue and in the "Show Reviewers" list, his name has been added in second on the list with blue. He has not changed his user info at all and it shows "by author".
    Anybody have and ideas?

Thanks

Re: Tracked Changes Color (Word 2002)

Well, Word does seem to choose and assign the colors arbitrarily. I tend to overlook this (except when Word chooses light gray, which is not very visible), so if there is a pattern to it, I'm not aware of it.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have Word 2002, but if I understand your question, that's how tracked changes works. When tracked changes is set up by author, the color that you will have depends upon when you get the document. Word changes the color according to a sequence. If you get the document at a time when your preferred color has already been used, then Word has no choice but to assign you a different color.
    Hope this helps,

Lounger
    Thanks

Goudys - Phil's explanation is perfect. The color of the revision marks for the person tracking changes may vary from document to document if the setting is "By Author". It will be dependent on how many others have made revisions and what colors they used. You could force Word for that user to always use a specific color but keep in mind that other reviewers (either inside or outside the firm) may use the same colors and thus it might be too hard to distinguish one persons revisions from another just by looking at a document. Also note that when you change color for Inserted text Word XP will now also change the color of deleted text to match. So, if I make my inserted text blue, my deleted text will now be blue also. In earlier versions of Word those two were always separate. We have a macro in place here at our firm that will make deleted text Red and strikethrough.....it was a macro that was posted on LawNet. If interested let me know and I can post it out here.