2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Autorecover file not created (2000)

Hi. I've got a situation where an autorecovery file is not being created when I expect it to be created. I've checked "save autorecovery info" and set it to save every one minute. In most cases, it seems to work: every time I make a change to a document, the autorecover info is saved during the next minute. However, when I create a document containing two subdocuments, Word doesn't seem to create an autorecovery file even after I make changes to the master document (without saving). The difference APPEARS to be the inclusion of the subdocuments, but I can't be sure about that. One interesting note is that, after I insert the subdocuments (using .Subdocuments.AddFromRange) , I save the whole document, thus creating two subdocuments on disk (call them sub1.doc and sub2.doc); I make the changes to the master doc after doing this save. I'm wondering if autorecover doesn't do its thing because sub1.doc and sub2.doc haven't changed (even though the master doc has). Anybody have any ideas what's going on?

Another related question: sometimes the process above creates a tmp file with a name like ~WRL3946.tmp. It contains the exact same number of bytes as the original file. Another time, however, Word created files called ~$xxx.doc (where xxx is the file name minus its first two characters). What are these files and do they have any relation to the autorecovery process?

Thanks....
    Dan

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Autorecover file not created (2000)

I got a response on the MS newsgroup which, while not completely answering the question, provides a link with a good workaround.

http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm

PS. How do you make a URL into a link on this forum?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> PS. How do you make a URL into a link on this forum?

You can use the 1 Click Tag Panel (link at the top of the edit window)
    or
    <!t><!/t> at the beginning and <!t><!/t> at the end of your link. Like this http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm
    or
    <!t><!/t> description of the link <!t><!/t> like this MS Newsgroup

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart already answered your question. The FAQ and HELP buttons at the top of the Lounge window are very useful if you're looking for information like this. How to make a link, for example, is in <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>.