New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to delete a group of e-mails (Outlook 2003/Outlook 2000)

I have a group of several hundred e-mails which are duplicates, but I am unable to delete them. There had been a problem in my PST, which I fixed using Scanpst, but I a still stuck with these leftovers. I was able to move them in a single folder into the deleted items folder, so now they don't really appear anywhere, but they take up space and make it impossible for my Wastebasket to empty automatically, because an error is generated whenever it tries to empty. I can manually delete all new items which go to the Wastebasket, but not this one folder or any file in it.

As I mentioned, I have run Scanpst more than once. The PST is not too large, currently running a bit over 34MB. I run auto-archive regularly to keep it in shape, which is how my original problem first showed up: I kept getting errors when archiving, and then found some corrupted messages. But that's all fixed, except for this last issue. The only thing which is a bit unusual is that I do use this PST at home as the main PST file under the most recent version of Outlook (was 2002, now 2003), and carry it to my office where I open it as an adjunct PST under Outlook 2000. However, I cannot delete the files or the folder at either location. If I try to delete the folder, I get the message: "Unable to delete this folder. Right-click the folder, and then click Properties to check your permissions for the folder. See the folder owner or your administrator to change your permissions." Doing that shows you nothing. If I try to delete one of the files, I get the message: "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." Of course restarting Outlook makes no difference.

I would appreciate any light which could be shed on this problem. Thanks

-PhilHT

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unable to delete a group of e-mails (Outlook 2

Create a new PST. Look at the Tree View for the default location in Windows Explorer as you create it. Make a note of the folder. Drag and drop as many of folders as possible to the new PST. Copy the contents of the remaining folders. Close Outlook. Remove your old PST file in Windows Explorer - using the folder you noted above - to any different location. Reopen Outlook. When it complains about a missing file, point it to your new PST. Once you are satisfied that the substitution has taken permanently, you are free to dlete the old PST.
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much for your suggestion. It seems to have worked, with one minor exception. It may seem trivial, but the icons for the Drafts and Junk folders in my new PST are just the generic folder icons, rather than the special ones which used to be there. I prefer the special ones as the visual cues help me get to the right folder quickly. I can find no way to set the folder icons. Again, I would appreciate assistance; but then I apprecate the assistance you have already provided.

-PhilHT

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Somewhat surprise to hear your report. Default folders are normally regenrated automatically - complete with icons. On the basis that this is after having opened and closed Outlook, I would suggest Detect and Repair (under Help on the main menu) or, possibly, creating yet another PST file. I would recommend the first of the two.
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, I was later able to figure this one out. What I had done was copy my existing Drafts and Junk folders into my new PST, with a few things in each. To correct the icons, I needed to empty the Junk, and move my Drafts to another folder temporarily, then delete both of those folders. Then close Outlook. The next time I opened it, as soon as I had some Junk e-mail, or created and saved a new Draft e-mail, those folders were automatically re-created with the correct icons. I then moved my pre-existing Drafts back to this new Drafts folder.

All is well, and I thank you for your responsiveness and help on my original, and more significant, problem.

-PhilHT