5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What does it mean - can't find form? (XP,2000)

I have a statement in the afterupdate property that says

Private Sub Searchbox_AfterUpdate()
    Forms!Prospect_lookup.Requery
    End Sub

My intention is to force a subform (which displays search results in a datasheet) to requery in order to display search results based on value of Searchbox. I get a msg saying Access cannot find the form "PROSPECT_LOOKUP" referenced in VB code.

I KNOW it is spelled correctly so what am I missing? the form Prospect_Lookup is a subform of Form_Query_input, The serchbox is an unbound textbox control.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: What does it mean - can't find form? (XP,2000)

The Forms collection only contains forms opened as a "main form". A subform is not part of the Forms collection. Use this instead:

If Prospect_lookup is a subform of the active form, use Me!Prospect_lookup.Form.Requery. If Form_Query_input is not the active form, use Forms!Form_Query_input!Prospect_lookup.Form.Requer y.

Note: you must use the name of the subform as a control on the main form; this is not necessarily the same as the name it has in the database window.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That made some difference. Now, instead of cannot find form, it says cannot find field. The active form is "Query input" and "prospect lookup" is the subform. I think the subform control has the same name as the form in the database window. I added the _ to replace the space.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try Me![Prospect lookup].Form.Requery then.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That works. Thank you. Why is is that sometimes brackets are needed and othertimes they're not?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If the name of a field, control, form or report contains spaces, you must put brackets around it to avoid confusion. The same holds for some other characters that could cause confusion, such as / and - (they would be interpreted as division and subtraction, respectively, if there were no brackets around the name. For "ordinary" names the brackets are not required, although it doesn't hurt to use them.