2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problems with users in Adminitrator-Group (Windows XP, SP1)

Hello everybody!

Since a couple of days, I have quite an interesting problem on my computer. If I log in with a user, who belongs to the administrators, I receive the background image - and that's it! I have to kill the explorer and restart it manually (both over the task manager via Ctrl-Alt-Del). Then everything seems to run as usual. If I put the user away from the adiministrator-group, everything works fine.
    Does anybody have an idea about this? Unfortunately I cannot remember what I have changed when this problem occurred first. I already have re-installed SP1, but with no success...
    Any hint will be appreciated!!
    I wish all of you a merry Christmas.

Many greetings,

Porley

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problems with users in Adminitrator-Group (Win

A couple of questions, if I may. Have you waited awhile to see if the OS is possibly doing any "churning" and might finish rendering your screen? For example, every once in awhile my XP, upon reboot, will take a couple of minutes doing "something" with the swap file - I can't imagine what. The only way I know this is that my swap file is on a third hard drive and I can see the drive light flashing. Anyway, when this happens, can you get to the Start Menu (or anything) with a click or Ctrl-Esc, or is everything including your mouse, locked up?
    <hr>...If I put the user away from the adiministrator-group, everything works fine... <hr>
    Does this mean you changed the user to a "limited" user or that you logged on as another user? In either case, I don't know of a fix (yet) and you might just have to create a new user profile. But let's wait to see if anyone else chimes in. It's Christmas morning and (almost) everyone but you and I is away from The Lounge right now. Hang in there a bit, OK?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply!
    OK,let's answer your questions. The OS is doing nothing during this time, I've already checked. Mouse is working, and I do not get a task-bar, and therefore no start button. I have changed the user to a limited user, and then everything works just fine! If I change back to unlimited user, the trouble starts again. I also have waited for some unfinished action, but after one hour, I realized, there is nothing to wait for. Creating a new user with administrative privileges leads to the same problem as already mentioned. It seems to have to do more with the group administrator, than with its users...
    I hope I could answer your questions sufficiently, but before you continue resolving this problem, have a nice time! As you already realized, its Christmas...
    Thanks for your help, anyway!

Greetings, Porley

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the clarifications, Porley. The fact that changing to limited user fixes it or even creating a new user with admin privs DOESN'T fix it pretty squarely points to something in system setup, somewhere. I don't know where and I'm about to leave for family gatherings, so it might be awhile before we get some other contributors here. Does the same problem exist even if you log on with the built-in administrator account ("administrator")? Hang in there and let's see what we can come up with.....

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hey thanks again for your fast reply! I hope you'll have a good time with your family. I didn't try the pure Administrator-account yet, but it's a good idea...

Thanks again! Hope to hear from you again...