Thread: wupdt.exe

Thanks

wupdt.exe

What the heck is wupdt.exe for? When I looked in the KB, it brought up a slew of refs, but kno direct "quotes"... so it seems that a lot of progs reference it...

It loads at startup... for what exactly?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks

Re: wupdt.exe

Maybe this from Symantic may provide some clues...
    Adware.IEPlugin
    ...looks like some kind of spyware.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

According to Answers That Work and Pacs-Portal, you have the Backdoor.Imiserv virus, but I suppose you can follow the removal instructions in the Symantec link provided by Leif and see what happens. Do you not have some AV software on the machine, Chuck?

Thanks

Ya Kno-o-o-ow-w-w,

I'm not much in the mood for a d--- virus!

Remember back a couple months when I was on this board and had a MAJOR infection?

Since then, I run both a hardware firewall (MS) AND an anti-virus prog (Norton).

How DARE any bug think it could come calling!

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Sounds to me more kike a Trojan than a Virus. Do we take it that you have been running all the Anti-Spyware stuff as well?
    Gre

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Chuck, somehow the backdoor trojan got installed. It could well have piggybacked with some other software that you installed, or it could have been the result of a web page that used an ActiveX control to install it. Do you recall seeing any security prompts while browsing the Internet, asking if you wanted to allow a software installation to proceed?

Are you the only person using this workstation? If you are not, it may be time to lock everyone else out for a spell so that you can control what is going on.
    -Mark

Thanks

unkamunka / Mark:

This is 'just' my pc... so no one else has access...

I just restored from Norton Ghost, and then ran Norton AAntivrus on the WINNT and the "Documents and Settings" folders... so I'm hoping that might be it...

Chuck

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Viruses and trojans are two different things.

NAV protects you against viruses. It has never claimed to protect you against trojans. If Norton were to supply anti-trojan software, they would either significantly hike the price of NAV or offer a separate product.

In a number of ways, a trojan is a far more insidious problem than a virus: because it will put your computer and its data under the control of an outsider. A virus will simply corrupt your data. (The boundaries have been blurred by SoBig and the earlier ILoveYou viruses.)

As you have seen, some anti-trojan programs spot things others do not. At least two of the following should be part of your regular routine: SpyBot, Ad-aware, HijackThis and a-squared. Paid automatic services, OTOH, have the benefit of running in the background like NAV. TDS-3 is something that I have heard positive reports about. Ad-aware and a-squared also offer paid versions that run in the background.
    Gre

Thanks

unkamunka:

When I (just) ran Spybot on my system, it found several "!"'s...

The one that I found curious was / is Winkey... a keyboard macro-like prog that utilizes the Win key... and it's put out by Copernic... (www.copernic.com/winkey)! Yea, the same people that put out Copernic, the search tool! I wrote them too... I had received a warning once before on Winkey... I wrote support about it, but received no reply...

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if you have the latest Spybot updates, Chuck, but I assume you do. The reason I say that is that I have Winkey installed and running on my system and have for quite some time. Spybot nor AdAware never "complain" about that application. Just prior to this running, I let Spybot check again for updates to make sure I'm up to date. Given the other peripheral things going on (unfortunately) for you, I just wonder if there are some kind of spillover problems on your OS installation causing a misleading result like this?

Thanks

bigal:

I restored my systerm from a ghost image,I just re-checked my spybot -- it says it's up to date...also ran a complete virus check last nite and it came up clean....

The winkey still shows up... must be something in the os/motherboard/bios...

Oh my...

Chuck

Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks

I love this website for task list stuff www.answersthatwork.com According to them:

Wupdt Wupdt.exe You have the Backdoor.Imiserv virus.

Laura