3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Scandisk (XP Home)

Sometime after I upgraded from W98SE to XP Home, I remember trying to run Scandisk. I received some kind of message that the program could not run while Windows was running and it asked whether I wanted to run scandisk on the next boot. I said yes. The next time I booted scandisk ran before Windows loaded. I thought it was a one-time deal. But no, to my surprise, scandisk continually tries to run on boots - not every boot for some reason.

I would like to know how I can stop scandisk from running on a boot. I looked in the various programs/services via msconfig but I don't see anything related to scandisk - unless I am missing something.

In a related issue, I noticed that when I go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, there is no Scandisk command. I believe I can still get to scandisk by right clicking on the C: drive and going to Properties, Tools, Error Checking.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Scandisk (XP Home)

In WinXP the program for checking drives is CHKDSK rather than SCANDISK. In my opinion, the best thing to do is to use the Run selection and open a command prompt window with CMD. Then you can run CHKDSK /? to see what the options are. In my experience with six partitions on this machine, the CHKDSK /F command will run interactively on all partitions except the boot drive. In that case it asks for your permission to run at next reboot, but I've not found that routine to be persistent. Since I've not encountered this persistence, the first place I would look is the BOOT.INI file in the root directory. Open it with Notepad and see if it contains any commands to check the disk (I've never seen any). I don't know if it would be worth a look in the SYSTEM.INI or WIN.INI files to see if there's a "load" or "run" command in there, but it wouldn't hurt to look. If it isn't happening on EVERY reboot, I don't know what the cause might be.

If you search for "CHKDSK" In Windows Help you'll get some explanations to read.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Go to Start|Run, type

msconfig

and press Enter. Go to the Startup tab and look for chkdsk. Uncheck the box next to it and OK your way out.

HTH
    Gre

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The key to your problem here is that the disk check does not run at every boot. Windows XP will check the disk's consistency if there is an error in the file system, regardless of your intervention (you do have an option to cancel it before it proceeds).

I believe that you have another problem that is causing the system to shut down and set the dirty bit on the file system. This forces CHKDSK to run. Rather than try to get around the disk check, you should be investigating what is causing improper shutdowns and causing inconsistencies in the file system.
    -Mark

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Jim--

Do you an have NTFS or FAT 32 file system? If unchecking it doesn't work you might take a look at these KBs--but first one way I've fixed this problem is to run System Restore and then run Chkdsk/r from the Recovery Consoleif you have access to an XP CD with your laptop. You may have a dirty bit set on your file system. In addition--see this helpful article from Executive Soft (Diskeeper) and these threads first:
    How to Prevent CHKDSK at Reboot after the Dirty Bit is Set
    How to Stop Chkdsk from Running Every Time Computer Starts XP Lounge September 28, 2003
    Chkdsk Error, Fsutil, NTFS, and Fixing Dirty Bits: Windows XP Lounge February 11, 2003

Also this may well stop it:

Start>Run>cmd>type in: "fsutil query c" (or whatever drive letter's appropriate)--if it comes back dirty then it hasn't cleared >then Start>run>cmd>type in "chkntfs/appropriate drive letter"

Reference to context:

314835: An Explanation of the New /C and /I Switches That Are Available to Use with Chkdsk.exe
    160963: CHKNTFS.EXE: What You Can Use It For
    FSUTIL Switches Note: Fsutil query doesn't work with dirty bits FAT 32 or FAT volumes.
    32275: A Fsutil Query Does Not Work Properly on FAT or FAT32 Volumes--Context of Fsutil
    831426: Chkdsk.exe or Autochk.exe starts when you try to shut down or restart your computer: 3 methods to repair this problem

This also occurs sometimes when Windows File Protection is disabled.

This one applies only to a problem with an HP Scan Jet--
    316506: Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer

314058: Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console
    312149: HOW TO: Enable Administrator to Log On Automatically in Recovery Console

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Further help with the Recovery Console if you haven't used it:

I have found that far and away the best way to run chkdsk in Win PX is to run Chksdsk/r from the Recovery Console-- it implies chkdsk/f--meaning it includes it. I have seen it repair dirty bit problems when nothing else will work.I have also seen this stop the endless loop of chkdsk running on boot or chkdsk running on each boot consistently.[/b] I've found it much faster and more efficient in XP despite the misleading gui chkdsk dialogue box that I don't use:

1) Boot from XP CD with CD in drive making sure order is correct for this in bios:
    2) When you see "Welcome to Setup" press R to start the Recovery Console.
    3) When prompted put in the administrator password, and if you don't have one press enter.
    4) At the RC's command prompt type in Chkdsk/r>enter.
    5) Restart.

or

Installing the Recovery Console in XP with Screen Shots

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There is no chkdsk under Startup in msconfig.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

This means that - although you may have asked for your disk to be scanned sometime in the past - the start-up issue relates to your having some form of shutdown problems. As <!profile=WyllyWylly>WyllyWylly<!/profile> points out, something is going wrong during your usage. Do you receive any error messages either as you are shutting down or during day to day use?
    Gre

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

It's a native utility/tool in the System 32 folder and those aren't on msconfig that I know of. If you need to stop a service from running and can, putting "services.msc" in the run box and stopping the service is the way to go when you can. Msconfig items can come from 12 different diffuse sources.

The chkdsk.exe tool lives in the System 32 folder at C:WINDOWSsystem32 as does the chkdsk.ntfs. You can find it out in plain view but don't do anything to it there.

I think from fixing this on a number of machines that this more likely involves a dirty bit problem. I also have found that the fastest way to fix your problem is to run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console but I am also mindful that some laptops and notebooks don't facilitate accessing it if they don't give you an XP CD. If you do have an XP CD, or you could even get the files for Recovery Console and burn them--I'd give that a shot.

I also put ancillary references on dirty bits, FSUTIL, and "chkntfs" including threads above and for more chkdsk references see also.

Chkdsk can be stopped from automatically running with chkntfs. I would prefer you run chkdsk/r from the Recovery Console, but here's how you can use chkntfs referenced in the links in my first post to stop this:

You can also use the CHKNTFS /X switch to stop this. This causes the chkdsk command to skip checking cycles within the folder structure.

You can disable chkdsk from running on a drive at run>cmd and at the prompt type:

Chkntfs /X C or whatever drive it's running on if it's not C. You can always schedule Chkdsk to run the next time or anytime you plan to boot by typing in Chkntfs /C/whatever drive. C in this switch is not the C drive but a switch that schedules chkdsk to run at the next boot.

Again, I think the most beneficial way to check and repair any problems with chkdsk is using chkdsk /r from the Recovery console which I believe will fix this.

hth,

SMBP

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

There will only be an entry present for CHKDSK in MSCONFIG if you set the disk check to run manually. I believe that was what Unkamunka thought you were doing.
    -Mark

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Another way of doing this is from the registry from Kelly's XP Tweaks Line 294 Prevent Chkdsk on Boot and Undo

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I wnat to thank everyone for the considerable responses I have received on this post. Let me try to respond to everyone at once.

First, my disk is FAT32 so I believe the commands, such as "chkntfs" would not be applicable to me?

Second, using fsutil I did find that the "dirty" bit was set on my G: drive (external USB hard drive). Allowing checkdisk to run on boot did clear up the problem. I am not clear what is causing this "dirty" bit to ne set not how to find out.

Third, I am not able to boot from my XP CD to run the recovery console. When I change my bios to boot from CD and insert my XP CD (note, this is an XP upgrade CD) I get a message with 3 choices: continue with the XP upgrade (which to my knowledge is complete already), something about proceeding to another operating system upgrade, or to continue to boot without installing the upgrade. I chose the latter and it performed a normal boot from my hard drive. I did not know what the effect would be if I chose either of the first two options so I did not.

I am not receiving other error messages during shotdown or other times. My only other problem I am trying to deal with is a memory leak/resource drain when my computer runs for more than 8 hours (post 313449) and a problem with my recycle bin (post 325171).

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Jim--

Tx for the followup. If FAT 32 you're correct about chkntfs as the KB's confirm. Sometimes a dirty bit gets set when you least expect it. I am puzzled though why you can't boot to the recovery console if you'r bios is set to boot from the CD because the XP CD even if an upgrade CD would still have the Recovery console in the System 32 folder where it resides. We had a thread where Jefferson and I searched for and listed all its files.

It looks like you've solved the problem for now and you may never see it again. But the Recovery Console can be very useful in an emergency, and in a non-emergency I find it really helpful to run chkdsk /r from the RC and as I said I have seen it solve a "dirty bit continued run of chksdk on boot problem" without doing any other maneuvers.

You can load the RC to your hard drive, and that has the convenience you'd always have it with your machine, no matter where the CD was. It doesn't take that much space--about 7.2 MB if I remember correctly. Here are instructions for doing that in case you want to.

397654: HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Step by Step Installation of XP Recovery Console with Screenshots

Recovery Console from Kelly's XP

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,

Looks like I still have something setting the dirty bit on my hard drives. I am going to try again to install Recovery Console per the instructions you provided.

Jim

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I jurt ran chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console on my four drives and it did take about an hour to do them all. It "implies" chdksk /f and "chkdsk/ p" that can only be run from the Rcovery console, the p switch that is. So I took the cue from a lot of good sites that have drilled this subject and suggested the Recovery Console is the most effective place to run it with that swtich and have seen it clear up the "dirty bit" problem after autochk.exe is set up more than once.

I have noticed to that you can get this repeat problem if you have Diskeeper, which has a convenient chkdsk checkbox on it and simultaneously run a chkdsk / whatever command at the dos prompt or run box. So you don't need to and shouldn't have to do it at Diskeeper and the dos prompt of course but I have forgotten and gotten into that problem for whatever reason and resolved it by running chkdsk from Recovery Console.

Remember too, that if you have Recovery Console already on your hard drive and get into an Emergency and don't have your CD with you--I mean many people do but a lot of people I see running around with a laptop or notebook don't--you will have the RC at your disposal.

Don't get tripped up on the prompt for password in the Recovery Console. I suggest going to Services and setting it so that you can acess the RC without a password, but as has been pointed out on the Lounge if you do that, anyone can walk up to your machine and access the Recovery Console and do a lot to zap files. But of all the things people would do, I don't think going to the Recovery Console would be high on someone's list. It does present the scenario that someone would have a limited acess to your files to change things.

SMBP