New Lounger
    Thanks

Rename C:\WinNT to C:\Windows (1)

I want to upgrade my existing Windows2000 PC to WindowsXP. However, Windows2000 uses C:WinNT and WindowsXP uses C:Windows.
    To prevent any future software problems I'd like to rename the existing C:WinNT folder to C:Windows before upgrading to WindowsXP.
    I know it will involve editing the registry and boot.ini.
    Anyone have recommended steps to accomplish the rename?
    Thanks.
    -- Dave

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Rename C:\WinNT to C:\Windows (1)

You do not need to do anythng, the upgrade will install the OS in the correct folder and if needed change the settings to the new folder. But to get the best, do a clean install and then install your software.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I know it's best to do a clean install. However, in this situation, I can not.
    If I allow WindowsXP to install to C:Windows this will create a dual boot. Correct? If so, I don't want a dual boot between Windows2000 and WindowsXP.
    -- Dave

Thanks

Although I don't have direct experience, I doubt you can have two versions of Windows dual boot from a single partition. I think it's more probable that the installer will clear out any conflicting system files and maybe even remove the WinNT folder. But that's just a guess; haven't heard of too many people installing XP over 2000.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You definitely can have Win9x and NT4 or Win2K on the same partition. OTOH if you upgrade from Win98 to Win2K you will have a Win2K OS running out of a WINDOWS folder. There may be a problem, however, with renaming the WinNT folder. This would probably have to be done either from the other part of a dual boot or from a Network Drive with Admin permissions. Let us see what resources are available.
    Gre

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you run the XP setup launcher from within Windows 2000, the default option will be to upgrade. The folder name will remain WINNT. What I am not clear on is why you want to rename the system root directory; it will not cause any problems with future software. I have XP installed in a directory named WINNT6 on one machine, Windows 2000 installed in a directory named WIN2000 on another box.

What, precisely, are your concerns in regards to software compatibility? As has been noted in this thread, you can install XP into the same partition, but you would be asking for a lot of trouble in doing so. There are too many shared components between the two operating systems and it will lead to instability if you do so.

During XP setup (as with Win2000) you are warned against doing such a thing, but if you ignore the warnings you can proceed. Setup will only delete the existing Windows installation if you select the same target folder.
    -Mark