Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macro security tab missing (Office 2000)

I'm a new member and very impressed with this forum. I've tried searching the forum but can't find an answer to the following problem.
    I've written some macros for my own use so there's no security issue. Every time I open a work book I'm asked to enable the macros; not a major problem, but an irritation. Excel Help suggests that I set the macro security to low to prevent this, but when I go to Tools/Macro there is no security 'tab' visible. I've tried re-installing Excel but with no change.
    I'd be very grateful for some ideas

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macro security tab missing (Office 2000)

Do you mean to say that you don't have a Tools | Macro | Security... menu item? If not, make sure that you see the complete menu; if that still doesn't help, select Tools | Customize..., and either reset the Tools menu in the Toolbars tab of the Customize dialog, or select Tools in the Categories list in the Commands tab, then locate Security... in the Commands list and drag it to the Tools | Macro submenu.

I would not recommend setting Macro Security to Low. It will leave you vulnerable to macro viruses.

You can set Excel to trust all installed templates and add-ins in the Security dialog, and put macros for general use in your personal macro workbook Personal.xls. Or you could create a digital certificate for the workbook with your macros - see OFF2000: Overview of Digital Certificates and OFF2000: Using SelfCert to Create a Digital Certificate for VBA Projects.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

First of all, there are much better options available than putting Macro Security to Low. Setting it to Low applies to ALL Excel code - no matter who wrote it.

Your first option is to put the code in a Personal.xls file in your XLSTART folder. That is loaded automatically - without code warnings.

Alternatively, you can sign your code using a certificate generated by SelfCert.exe - in your Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice folder. The actual signing is done by using Tools|Digital Certificate in the Excel Visual Basic Editor. (You will have had to have done a Custom or Full Install of Office 2000 for SelfCert to be available - as it is not part of the Default Install.)

Finally, Security is on the Tools|Macro Sub-Menu - about the third item down. It is not on the basic Tools Menu. Click on Macro to get the Sub-Menu.

HTH
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much. I hadn't realised how easy it is to re-set the missing menu item. I've now done that and will heed the warnings about setting macro security too low.
    Thanks again.