5 Star Lounger
    Leesburg, Virginia, USA

Outlook will not shutdown (Outlook 2003)

The following paragraph was in WOW #8.51. Has this problem been confirmed and, if so, is there a resolution? I am waiting for this to be resolved before upgrading to Outlook 2003. I travel a lot and I do not want by home office PC checking my mail while I am on the road.

"Having a hell of a time getting Outlook 2003 to quit. It keeps itself alive in the system tray and you cannot quit the program without restarting the computer and NOT launching Outlook 2003. Don't know if you've come across this or not, but nothing I can do fixes it. I also do not have Active Sync running, as some have suggested that causes this problem. This is a real problem if you check e-mail from the road. It's annoying as heck when you travel and Outlook is checking messages for you, so you don't think any have come in and lo and behold, you have 30 unopened messages on the main computer. I could turn off automatic message checking when I leave, but that is a real pain too."

Super Moderator
    Renton, Washington, USA

Re: Outlook will not shutdown (Outlook 2003)

I am NOT having any problems with Outlook2003 not shutting down. However, if I leave my Pocket PC turned ON in the cradle it will keep Outlook Process going, even though I have turn off the "Active Sync".

Other items that MAY keep it running are Fax programs, auto mailers, bill minders that use the email and etc. Some one here is having this problem since installing OmniPage Version 14, but I have not, it now has been installed for a week. I have been using Outlook 2003 since the Beta2 release and have yet to find it running on it's own, except for the above reason. My machines are on 7/24.

I do NOT think it is a problem with Outlook, but with third party software, that MUST use the process.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.