3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Deletion problems

In trying to delete "IE content" temp files in Win98SE, to clean out the computer. Got "Ace Utilites" program, and even that will not remove a bunch of mpg and jpg images that will neither display or delete. I've used the Registry cleanup, temp file cleanup,
    and trying manually trying to click on them to delete, and they just don't respond. It's not that important, but it's aggrivating to have a machine that "does it's own thing" regardless of the owner's wishes. Any good tips to dump these obsolete and unuseable image files?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Deletion problems

I have seen that certain files or file types can get "stuck" in the cache, and IE itself doesn't seem capable of getting rid of them. It's possible to delete any cached files manually from Windows Explorer, without fear of doing any damage. But you might want to try out something like Spider, which can be useful as a maintenance/ privacy tool. There are several around, but I've found Spider to be the most thorough and reliable.

Alan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply.
    I did try to manually delete the "stuck:" images, to no avail. I'll give that Spider program a try. I was wondering if a little
    .exe file called "Recover after reboot" could be responsible? This was a used computer, and who knows what all it was loaded with? It's an ongoing mystery. And, yes, I did run the Anti-virus program about three times after discovering this
    stuff.......nothing showed up there either.

Thanks

Might it be worth starting in Safe Mode and then trying deleting them in Windows Explorer?

Ian