Thanks

Partition Labels

How do / can I name a partiton without formatting it? Within Win2K the name shows, but not in "straight dos".

The partitions I set up in Win2K... so now I know to name them before using them... but is there a way to get the name to carry over to dos?

Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Partition Labels

Not if it's NTFS. Otherwise, if you go into Windows Explorer and right-click the drive and select RENAME, the partition (drive letter) name should be recognized if you are in DOS. Not sure what you mean by "straight dos" but I'm talking about booting the system with a DOS boot disk - it should recognize the drive label.

Thanks

BigAl:

As usual, I am less than clear in my explanation:

The partitions were set up via the Win2K setup process... and I did not name them a that time.

Once set, I could, yes, name them via explorer in Win2K. But the names did seem to carry over to dos, and therefore the partitions were showing as "unnamed".

Subsequently, I scrounged up a copy of Label.exe from my Win98 cd... and that works in dos, so that I could synchronize the names... strange they are "kept in different places and/or formats".

Oh well...

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks

BigAl:

I neglected to add:

In trying to resolve the label issue, I backed up my files and went to re-format the partitions... all of which had been set up through the Win2K setup process...

Do ya know, you (I) can't format a partition in dos that has been set up by Win2K... *unless* you:

go into Win2k, open a dos window, from *there* format the particular partion, and *then* go to dos and re-format, setting labels etc.

If you (I) try to go to dos first, I get a message that the partition is "locked"... as a mattr of fact, when you (I) do it in the command window, it talks about releasing handles...

Da---- if I knew/understand bout the different files, partitions etc.

The partitions were previously set up as FAT32 partitions... yet they are "locked" by Win2K...

All very strange...

Chuck