5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Another leading zero question (XP,2000)

I have unsuccessfully tried to make an input mask. I have some fields that are 12 characters and I need to have leading zeros. For example, if I enter A31267 it should display as 000000A31267

What is the best way to do this? The field in the table is TEXT and length is 12. Should I have the input mask defined at the table level or as part of the default value or where.... and, of course, how?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Another leading zero question (XP,2000)

I don't think you can do this with an input mask or a format. I wouldn't know how to provide leading zeroes in a text field that can contain alphabetic characters; it doesn't make much sense.

You can create a calculated field in a query based on the table, or us a text box on a form or report with an expression that displays the data the way you want. In a query, it could be done like this:

DisplayValue: Right("000000000000" & [FieldName],12)

and as control source of a text box:

=Right("000000000000" & [FieldName],12)

The quoted string contains 12 zeros, and FieldName must be replaced by the name of your field.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Another leading zero question (XP,2000)

Hmmm. Well, it is actually used to capture (manually input) barcodes from different items. The coding convention is 12 characters and is typically a Letter followed by some numbers. Maybe it would be best to simply input the actual code then add the leading zeros later through string manipulation.