Super Moderator
    Thanks

Can NOT open any office programs (Office 2003)

We installed Office 2003 Teachers and Studebnts Edition on a lap top. It did NOT remove Access XP and we started getting the "Installing Office routine" every time we rebooted. Remove dALL of Office XP and 2003. We then installed Office 2003 T&S again. We are now getting the attached error on ever try of any of the programs.

Any one with some help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Re: Can NOT open any office programs (Office 2003)

Is it just the shortcuts that are broken? If you drill down to the EXE files in the Office11 (I assume) programs folder, do those work?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Dave--

My understanding is that you didn't technically upgrade on this laptop from some other Office version, although you could have, as long as it wasn't Office XP Student and Teachers or any other student and teachers edition prior to 2003. The only reason I say that is because this first linked KB that addresses that error message is titled "when you upgrade."

Though you selected to remove all of Office XP through some error it didn't:

823941: Microsoft Office XP Programs Are Reinstalled After You Upgrade to Microsoft Office 2003

This second KB is not directly on point by title, but further down in it may be some information you can adapt to making sure Access 2002 is removed so I included it.

826319: Office 2003 Setup May Remove Earlier Versions of Office--See How to Remove Earlier Versions of Office Selectively

Finally, if there is no help from either of these KB's in getting Acess out cleanly and stopping the cycle of repeat setup, you may get some help from this tool from the MOS 2003 Resource Kit:

Custom Installation Wizard from MOS 2003 Resource Kit Toolbox

Methods of Cutstomizing Office

Customizing Office 2003

also

Customizing Removal Behavior

Office Removal Wizard from the Office 2003 Resource Kit Toolbox

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I also ran across this which may have some application since there are different Office versions involved here although the word upgrade may not be the situation here:

927471: Previous Office Programs and Tools Are Still Installed After You Install Office 2003

In respect to this second one, I know this unintentionally remaining Acess 2002 is a different situation, but this confirms that the location of the BIN folder (the folder where the Office .exe files are installed) has changed to Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice11 or is the same as the change that originated with Office XP from Office 2000 to Office XP:

828956: Running Multiple Versions of Microsoft Office with Office 2003

SMBP

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 29-Dec-03 08:33. )</P>You are right, the shortcuts are what that is NOT working. But it takes for ever to boot up.

Found that there was a Microsoft Office" and a "Microsoft Office Applications" folder in the "Start Menu". Deleted the Microsoft Office Applications folder and all seems to be working.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I wonder if the workaround in this KB will speed that up, but it requires using the classic start menu:

825941: Microsoft Office XP Programs Are Reinstalled After You Upgrade to Microsoft Office 2003

From the KB:

This problem occurs if the Office XP shortcuts have been moved to a different location than the All Programs menu, where they are installed by default. For example, after you install Office XP you create a new subfolder (perhaps named Microsoft Office Apps) and move the Office XP shortcuts to the new subfolder.

When a program is used, a shortcut is created on the Most Recently Used (MRU) area of the Start menu. The shortcut on the MRU links to the shortcut in the new subfolder (Microsoft Office Apps in this example). When you upgrade to Office 2003, Setup assumes shortcuts for previous Office versions will be located on the All Programs menu. Therefore, Setup does not find the shortcuts in the custom subfolder. Additionally, Setup does not update the shortcuts on the MRU. The shortcuts on the MRU list will still point to the previous version of the Office program.

This problem does not occur when you use the Classic version of the Start menu because the Classic Start menu does not have an MRU list.

WORKAROUND

To work around this problem, use the new Office 2003 shortcuts on the All Programs menu. The shortcuts on the MRU list will change to point to the Office 2003 version of the programs.

SMBP

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I've seen this before with some strange shortcuts created by the Office installation. I never did figure out what was different about the ones setup created, so I just created my own shortcuts and forgot about it. Can you work around it that way, or do you need a more permanent fix?
    -Mark

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks all, we did get it working, but she ended up getting a late Christmas or is it a early Christmas gift. We bought her a new Sony FVR37. It was time to retire the other, she has a put a lot on mileage on the old one.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If my posts didn't hit this solution I was trying. There seems to be a lot of difficulty and a number of KB's over shortcuts, shortcut bars associated with the Office 2003. You might want to track some of the new Office KB's at KB Alertz New Office 2003 KB's for a little while because it is a good source for over coming some of the glitches with MOS 2003 components.

SMBP