2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Floppy disk drive not responding (Windows XP Pro SP1)

I have an ongoing problem with my floppy drive.
    I can see it in My Computer, but when I try and access a disk I am informed that it is not formatted, which I know it is.
    Sometimes I can format within My Computer and other times I need to shell to DOS to do it.
    Most times if I leave a disk in the drive when Windows starts up I can then mostly access floppy disks.
    I've tried the 'unformatted' disks on other PC's which have no issue in displaying the contents.
    I have also replaced the floppy drive with a new one, to no avail.
    I have looked at what System Information reports:
    Start Mode = Manual; Started = Yes; State = Running; Status= OK; Error Control = Normal; Accept Pause = No; Accept Stop = Yes
    I have uninstalled/reinstalled the driver numerous times.
    How do I get it to work everytime?
    Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
    TIA Michael

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Floppy disk drive not responding (Windows XP P

Since you've already REPLACED the drive, that blows one idea! I guess it's always possible that you could have a bad cable. You could try replacing it to see if that fixes the problem. I see also that you boot your system with a diskette in the floppy drive, which tells me you have the boot order in your BIOS set accordingly. What if, just for grins, you were to go into the BIOS and change the boot order to something like CD, then floppy, finally hard drive. That might not be a bad thing to do, in case you ever need to boot from your WinXP CD. Note that if you do that, you'll need to boot WITHOUT a floppy in the drive.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Floppy disk drive not responding (Windows XP Pro SP1)

In Bios I always have this boot order= IDE0,CDROM and then Floppy. If I need it to boot different I can change it. I can't remember the last time I needed to boot from a Floppy anyway. Also if you have the option, do you have it set in Bios to,Boot Up Floppy Seek? Personaly I think it has something to do with a connection or cable problem. Does Device Manager show it to be OK?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Floppy disk drive not responding (Windows XP Pro SP1)

I forgot to mention that I also swapped the ribbon cable.

I don't actually boot from the floppy, but insert it at the point
    where XP is displaying the thermometer bar across the bottom of the screen.

The device manager reports no problems with the floppy, fdc or any other components.
    I've also changed the BIOS settings regarding the floppy.

Is there anywhere I can change at boot up the information that System Info displays?
    eg.Start Mode = Manual; Started = Yes; State = Running; Status= OK; Error Control = Normal; Accept Pause = No; Accept Stop = Yes
    Any registry entries?

TIA
    Michael

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Then a relevant question is, can you successfully boot from the floppy? First establish whether there is a hardware problem or not. By the time you see the progress meter, Windows is already well on its way to loading and the drive is no longer under the control of the BIOS.

You can find all manner of startup floppy images at BootDisk.com.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I can boot from the floppy any and every time.
    I'm getting to the point of leaving a bootable floppy in the drive
    just so that I can access it from within Windows.
    It's a workaround that I would rather find the solution to.
    Thanks for your efforts.
    Michael

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I still fail to understand exactly what you are doing. How do you start the computer and get to Windows XP with a bootable floppy in the drive? If the floppy is bootable, the system would then load whatever operating system is on it instead (almost always DOS).

Or is your system BIOS set to ignore the floppy drive on startup, and boot directly from the fixed disk (hard drive), and by leaving a floppy disk in it you can read it once Windows starts?

Please clarify exactly what you are doing. It does not seem very clear to me.
    -Mark

Banned Member
    Thanks

Yes I believe I am also confused as to what is happening. Please clarify. Are you sure that your Bios is seeing the Hard Drive?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

And where, in the System Information applet, do you find that info about your floppy drive? I've been through mine and can't find the information you posted about the floppy. If your floppy drive "works," it seems you've got something else going on with your system settings and we need to know what kind of stuff you have running or what you've changed in system settings and HOW you might have done it, either on purpose or by accident.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have any issues in XP starting up; it starts every time I boot or reboot and works fine.
    My BIOS boot sequence is floppy, cd, hard disk.
    Once XP is up and running I have problems in accessing disks in the floppy drive even though the floppy drive shows in 'My Computer'.
    There are no yellow '?' in the device manager or any IRQ conflicts.
    The data I provided came from System Information->Software Environment->System Drivers : flpydisk.
    My workaround to be able to access the floppy whenever I boot up is to insert a formatted floppy (doesn't matter on which machine or type of format) into the floppy drive at the point where XP displays the progress bar.
    Just before the desktop is displayed, I can hear XP check the floppy drive and the light comes on momentarily. I can now access that floppy and access and format other inserted floppies.
    When XP and Office were the only apps installed I did not have this problem, and as I only use floppies now and then I don't know after what new installed app that this problem appeared.
    Hope this helps to clarify my problem/issue.
    Thanks in advance.
    Michael